Catcher positioning taking throws from outfield

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
I posted this over a year ago with surprisingly no responses. So, I'm trying again:

I was wondering if any of you have articles, videos, thoughts on where the catcher should correctly position herself when taking throws from each of the outfield positions. I've read some different theories on where (up the line vs. closer to home) and how (toes on plate, toes in front of plate, etc.), but I'm not really comfortable in my understanding of the correct positioning. With the new emphasis on having the ball before you can block the plate, any advice, articles, video, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

Apr 1, 2010
From what I've heard, the ideal position is a couple of feet toward 3rd, entirely on the inside of the foul line, with the left knee pointed straight at 3rd so that it won't be twisted left or right if the runner hits it. However, I'm no expert. I'm guessing this would still work for a throw from first or right field--the catcher could spread her right leg wide and turn her torso to the right to make a good target for the throw.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Thanks for the response

That is what we teach our catchers - get up the line in fair territory. I guess my question is really what to do with a ball coming from RF side of field, and you answered it. I appreciate it.

Are there any other thoughts. Thanks!

Mike

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Coach Dave Weaver's (New England Catching Camp) has (In my opinion) the most complete video on catching and this subject is covered in the video. (A Coaches Guide to Training Catchers) The idea position is pretty much as MountieSB described. Catcher positions themselves about 2 or 2 1/3 feet towards third, left foot about 4 inches inside the base line. Feet and knees facing third with knees bent. Most throws can be fielded from this position by swiveling at the hips. Extreme RF throws may require resetting the right foot. From this position, not only can the catcher complete the tag, the can come up quickly looking for another out.

That said, this ideal setup only works when the ideal, on-target throw is made. Fielder's should drill to throw to this spot. Not just a generalize throw somewhere towards the plate. Having your fielders know the exact location they need to throw to and drilling to throw to this target greatly improves the odds of making the tag play at home a success.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
chazbz1,
I really like the idea of having the outfielders know exactly what spot they are to throw to on plays a the plate. I always pound home the arc of the ball (keeping a low arc so we can cut a ball, even if it means one-hopping it home to get a runner), but I've never focused on the exact spot to throw. I'll get to work on that next practice. Thanks for the tip.

Mike

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
For BB I think this makes some sense, but for SB and the 60 foot basepaths I don't think there's enough time to make the throw w/out being upset by the sliding runner unless its a sharp hit directly at the pitcher. Other opinions?

Sep 4, 2009
That is what we teach our catchers - get up the line in fair territory. I guess my question is really what to do with a ball coming from RF side of field, and you answered it. I appreciate it.

Are there any other thoughts. Thanks!

Mike
I REALLY like the Dave Weaver video and recommend it as the BEST method for training your catchers....One item that I teach is that on throws that are from the right side (as well as close plays) the catcher should be closer to the plate and less up the line. On a very close play or a throw from extreme RF I have my catchers start with their heel on the corner of the plate. They can scoot up the line if they turn and find that they have time. Throws from the left side they can start further up the line because they have a view of the ball and the runner at the same time.....REGARDLESS The left knee and toes should always point toward 3rd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32