Catcher Obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
LL Rule 2.0 Definitions
OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball, impedes the progress of any runner. A fake tag is considered obstruction. (NOTE Obstruction shall be called on a defensive player who blocks off a base, base line or home plate from a base runner while not in possession of the ball.

ASA Rules Supplement 36-Obstruction
In past years, coaches taught their player to block the base, catch the ball and make the tag. Now defensive players must catch the ball, block the base and then make the tag.

USSSA Clarification & Interpretation Topics Version 7

If a defensive player is blocking the base or base path without the ball, this is impeding the progress of the runner and is obstruction. After the fielder has the ball, she can block the base and make the tag. It is obstruction if the player blocks the base, catches the ball, and makes the tag.

Just wanted to clarify that the great play made by that catcher in the other current thread would clearly be obstruction under some rules sets. Obviously LL wouldn't apply but is very realistic to be playing ASA or USSSA ball.

You cant selectively take the section of the clarification which fits your personal interpretation of the rule. If you had included the brief section just ahead of your USSSA cut and paste it says exactly what every other rule book says regarding obstruction.

Obstruction is the act of a fielder:
 Not in possession of the ball or
 Not in the act of fielding a batted ball
which hinders a batter or runner. The act may be intentional or unintentional.

As Ajay posted, there are 2 requirements that BOTH have to be met in order to have obstruction. A fielder not in possession of the ball AND hinders the runner. Until the runner is actually impeded in some way there is nothing to call.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
To further the USSSA Clarification and Interpretation verbage:

Maddie was in an "Obstructive State", but it became non-obstructive when the ball beat the runner, therefore not impeding the progress of the runner. If the runner made contact with Maddie before Maddie had the ball, it would be obstruction. Maddie simply caught the ball, then made the tag.

For clarification...Contact is not required for OBS. If the runner alters her path to avoid a fielder without possession of the ball, OBS is also a possibility.

Feb 13, 2015
LL Rule 2.0 Definitions
OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball, impedes the progress of any runner. A fake tag is considered obstruction. (NOTE Obstruction shall be called on a defensive player who blocks off a base, base line or home plate from a base runner while not in possession of the ball.

ASA Rules Supplement 36-Obstruction
In past years, coaches taught their player to block the base, catch the ball and make the tag. Now defensive players must catch the ball, block the base and then make the tag.

USSSA Clarification & Interpretation Topics Version 7

If a defensive player is blocking the base or base path without the ball, this is impeding the progress of the runner and is obstruction. After the fielder has the ball, she can block the base and make the tag. It is obstruction if the player blocks the base, catches the ball, and makes the tag.

Just wanted to clarify that the great play made by that catcher in the other current thread would clearly be obstruction under some rules sets. Obviously LL wouldn't apply but is very realistic to be playing ASA or USSSA ball.
Seems to me that rule makers are confusing the issue by trying to coach in the rule book. They are offering advice to coaches on how to instruct players in avoiding obstruction. Failing to adhere to this advice does not automatically mean obstruction has occurred.

IMO, if the bold text above is not rule, it should be taken out.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
For clarification...Contact is not required for OBS. If the runner alters her path to avoid a fielder without possession of the ball, OBS is also a possibility.

I stated it like that because Maddie's leg appears directly in the path of the plate. I stated earlier that Maddie did not impede the progress, which includes all scenarios. I did not make myself clear enough I guess.

Aug 30, 2015
Let me put it this way. . .

Watching the video with Maddie standing in front of the plate well before she catches the ball, all a "smart" runner would have to do is intentionally slow down, stutter, or somehow make it clear that her path to the base was "impeded" while the catcher was just standing there.

This is exactly how it played out with the Zack Cozart Marlins/Reds reversal.

There's a reason NECC instructs to not set up in the base path. Probably to remove all doubt.

Sep 29, 2014

Watching the video with Maddie standing in front of the plate well before she catches the ball, all a "smart" runner would have to do is intentionally slow down, stutter, or somehow make it clear that her path to the base was "impeded" while the catcher was just standing there.

There's a reason NECC instructs to not set up in the base path. Probably to remove all doubt.

and that is exactly why MLB changed the way they apply the rule...you can't just slow down or make some grand gesture of going several feet out of the base path not attempting to touch the base simply to show that your path is impeded and there was nothing you could do; now I agree proper technique would be to set up directly in front of plate about a step up the line and close the path down when you get the ball. I think the grey area is when you see the ball coming in a perfect line for a tag if you position yourself in the baseline, if the throw is on line and beats the runner and you are in the base path with the ball I don't see how OBS would be called...it is harder I think when the catcher positions themselves in the base line prior to the ball (which the letter of the LL rule would declare OBS) being thrown then the ball comes in ahead of the runner who slides into a tag, I think the assumption here is always if the throw takes the catcher off the line they will go get he ball and OBS would not happen and if the ball comes in ahead of the runner they are in the base path with the ball so again no obstruction so whether you set up in the base path or in front of the plate the result ends up being the same, since the runner is never hindered

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
I stated it like that because Maddie's leg appears directly in the path of the plate. I stated earlier that Maddie did not impede the progress, which includes all scenarios. I did not make myself clear enough I guess.

No, your statement was fine. I was only adding to it for clarification on the rule in general.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama

The way you are interpreting the rule OBS would apply anytime a defensive player crossed the baseline while a ball was in play even if the runner was 30 feet away. No more charging ground balls or a catcher picking up a bunt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06