Catcher Obstruction

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Again, the way the USSSA clarification is worded is absolutely contrary to what the rule actually says. And for that matter, goes completely opposite what the USSSA case book says. The following is from the 2016 case book on obstruction.

SITUATION D: A throw from F9 draws F2 into the base path of R1. The ball and R1 arive simultaneously
causing contact between F2 and R1. F2 drops the ball and R1 scores. The contact is not intentional or
flagrant.
RULING: There is no obstruction or interference. This is viewed simply as a collision. The run counts.

By the wording of the clarification, the instant the throw drew the catcher into the base path it should have been ruled obstruction. But, as you can see from the case play it is not. I dont know how many times it has to be said, for all rule sets in order to be obstruction both criteria must be met. The defender not have possession of the ball, and impede or hinder the runner. Without both being met, it is nothing.

Sep 29, 2014
I think if a little common sense is applied everyone would we OK.

Everyone is assuming in the Maddie play that she was planted in the base path; she is only there because that is where the ball is being thrown. If the ball was to the first base side she would have moved to catch the ball. If the ball would have been two seconds later she would step up and yield the base path.

If a ball is hit to the OF and the catcher steps into the base path as the runner is rounding 3B the runner does not get to just stop and put her hands up at look at the umpire and say "look she is in the base path I'm obstructed so I'll just stop at 3B but you should give me home". Others stated player should not finish the play or make it obvious somehow that they are impeded and want an OBS call that's not the purpose or intent of the rule.

If everyone would just play ball I think things will work themselves out just fine:
- If you are the runner slide hard to your next base, if you are still up and the fielder has the ball slide if you can reach the bag, if not try to avoid the tag the best you can, if the player is standing between you and the base without the ball you continue running in a straight path to the next base if you hit them so be it.
- If you are the fielder position yourself given the timing and location of the ball where you can make a tag and if the timing and location allows you should block the base, if you are not going to have the ball at a location and time to make a play yield the base path and make sure you catch the ball.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
There is definitely Obstruction!!
That pitcher or 1B or whoever , is obstructing what would otherwise be my perfect view of the play!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
With all due respect, comp, this clarifies the rule. It defines impeding the runner and takes away any subjective opinions. It defines impedes by telling us that if the fielder does not have the ball and is in the base path, it's impediment. You don't need an English degree to figure this out in the clarification. It's not ASA's, NFHS's, NSA's or any other's definition of obstruction. I'd agree it's you on the others. Just as ASA tells us that it's not possible to push, drag push (crow drag) in their rules clarification, while the other's will call it an illegal pitch. The U-trip clarification then says you cannot be in the base path without the ball (the video shown this was the case), then catch the ball (video shows this to be true), then make the tag (again, this is also true). Poorly written or not, that's their clarification and it's obstruction according to it.

Eric,

Please teach her the proper way to field at home plate. Despite this play going her way. As she ages up, there are many kids who will enjoy coming in hard and taking her out. It's a safety issue for both runner and catcher. I do think your daughter is a great catcher and have enjoyed following her progress, but keep them safe. That's why the obstructions rules are in the book, despite the blue's hesitation to call it. My 18u's will make hard contact, sometimes with cleats up, if they feel they're obstructed.

No matter how many times I look at this video, I still don't see where the runner was impeded in her progress towards home plate. It's not impediment until the impediment actually occurs. In this play, it didn't. Move Maddie right or left, and the runner's path would be exactly the same.

On another note...This game was under ASA rules.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, I would prefer that Maddie set her initial position a little more to the right, as she has been taught. Safety considerations are a big part of what I teach all of the catchers I work with, however, sometimes things don't go exactly as planned at game speed. Maddie and I have also discussed this specific issue while reviewing the video.

EDIT: As indicated in the clarification posted by Comp, the ball and runner reaching the catcher at the same time is also not OBS, even with the catcher standing in the base path before the ball gets there. In this play, the ball is clearly in Maddie's possession well before the runner reaches her.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2014
No matter how many times I look at this video, I still don't see where the runner was impeded in her progress towards home plate. It's not impediment until the impediment actually occurs. In this play, it didn't. Move Maddie right or left, and the runner's path would be exactly the same.

On another note...This game was under ASA rules.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, I would prefer that Maddie set her initial position a little more to the right, as she has been taught. Safety considerations are a big part of what I teach all of the catchers I work with, however, sometimes things don't go exactly as planned at game speed. Maddie and I have also discussed this specific issue while reviewing the video.

Like you stated I think this is preferred but I think as the throw comes home, in the end she is going to end up in exactly the same spot she ends up in the video

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Just received an NECC email using Maddie's video to show how to move off the base path to avoid contact. Pretty cool and she must have done something right for it to be used as a demonstration....

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just received an NECC email using Maddie's video to show how to move off the base path to avoid contact. Pretty cool and she must have done something right for it to be used as a demonstration....

Jay texted me this morning to ask my permission to use the video. His words..."Positioning was about as good as it could have been considering the circumstances." Maddie is also a 2-time NECC Road Trip camp attendee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207