Catcher Myth #27 Catcher's Should take their Mask Off...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
We got this report from one of our catcher's family at the UCM (University of Central Missouri) High School Invitational Tournament in Warrensburg, MO this weekend. " A girl on another high school team got 11 stitches this weekend because she took off her helmet to make a play at home. The ball came up and split her forehead wide open. Syd (Our catcher) turned and told everyone there- and that is one reason why you never take your helmet off."

Please keep your masks on for your own protection.

May 18, 2013
Richmond, VA
Old school was taught to remove the mask because the mask moved too much when in action situations and impaired vision. A proper fitting goalie style mask doesn't. For protection, leave it on!

Oct 7, 2014
My DD has been catching since she was 8 and is now 16 and plays travel. When she was 9 or 10 she was going for a foul ball and while watching the ball (as she should) she ran into the fence post in the dugout door. This knocked her helmet off as that's what hit first before her shoulder. Thankfully she didn't take her helmet off as some parent/coaches had suggested she do when ever there was a foul ball or she might have never wanted to play again. She didn't make the catch but after wiping away some tears and making sure everything else felt ok she finished the game at catcher. LEAVE IT ON !!!!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
The whole taking the mask off thing is just another example of old school coaching that doesn't get updated.

If only there was some way that people across the country could share information with one another, so everyone could stay updated on the latest thinking and techniques. We could call it, I don't know, the Internet.

It's that time of year again and I suspect many of you are running into this issue with new teams/coaches that refuse to update their line of thinking. We've researched this ad nauseum as one of my DD's has been catching for the past 6 or so years. Most of the higher level camps, coaches and players are all in agreement now that the mask should stay in place. We've heard this from Dave (and Jay) Weaver at The Catchers Camp (NECC), Chaz McNulty at The Advanced Catchers Camp, Jen Schroder at her Catcher's Retreat and The Packaged Deal (along with some of the best college catchers in the game right now at her Retreat) and they are all saying the same thing...Keep the Mask ON!! And practice with it on, practice pop ups and tracking the ball, coach your teammates (specifically the pitcher) to help you locate it if you do lose track of it. Why do we still have to get in trouble with a HS or TB coach about this issue? Visibility is NOT impaired! Safety IS enhanced! Let it be a player preference. If a kid is repeatedly having a problem tracking the ball it is likely caused by something else...look into that before jumping to the worn out, old school, tired and stupid assumption that they need to remove the mask!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
It's that time of year again and I suspect many of you are running into this issue with new teams/coaches that refuse to update their line of thinking. We've researched this ad nauseum as one of my DD's has been catching for the past 6 or so years. Most of the higher level camps, coaches and players are all in agreement now that the mask should stay in place. We've heard this from Dave (and Jay) Weaver at The Catchers Camp (NECC), Chaz McNulty at The Advanced Catchers Camp, Jen Schroder at her Catcher's Retreat and The Packaged Deal (along with some of the best college catchers in the game right now at her Retreat) and they are all saying the same thing...Keep the Mask ON!! And practice with it on, practice pop ups and tracking the ball, coach your teammates (specifically the pitcher) to help you locate it if you do lose track of it. Why do we still have to get in trouble with a HS or TB coach about this issue? Visibility is NOT impaired! Safety IS enhanced! Let it be a player preference. If a kid is repeatedly having a problem tracking the ball it is likely caused by something else...look into that before jumping to the worn out, old school, tired and stupid assumption that they need to remove the mask!

Very good to hear that Jen Schro is also promoting this. There are a LOT of people in the softball world that follow her.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Very good to hear that Jen Schro is also promoting this. There are a LOT of people in the softball world that follow her.

I am really hoping that this doesn't get quickly buried....I'd love to see some responses on this issue.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Keep in mind that the Hansen principle also applies to catching mechanics. Yes, the majority of times it should stay on. At other times you are better served if it comes off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom