catcher backing up first

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I guess I could understand it in college ball since foul territory is larger than most of the fields we play on. The only time I would even consider this with the catcher is on a play by the second baseman or a DP attempt when the throw is coming from second base itself. If the throw is coming from shortstop, third base, or the pitcher, IMO the right fielder is better suited to back up first. That said, we do not teach this with our team.

May 17, 2012
A couple of you have it right. Catcher isn't technically backing up first as much as she is blocking the dugout opening pending field configuration or herding a whild throw/bad catch that lands somewhere between first and catcher in foul territory. Catcher doesn't have to run all the way up the line as the RF is coming in as well. This sandwich approach makes life easier for everyone.

Having said that you need to know the following.

1. How many catchers do you have;
2. How hot is it;
3. How many games are you playing;
4. Diamond/Dugout configuration;
5. Where was the ball hit/where is the throw coming from.

The carrot is that with no runners on the 1B can flip to the catcher for the throw around. Most of them enjoy doing that.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
Given the pitcher and catcher are being physically taxed more than any player on the field, particularly in the hot summer weather, my pitcher and catcher won't be running to back up first base. Besides, given the closeness of the fence at first base, the first-baseman should be the first one to a ball that gets past her that the pitcher or catcher could get to.

I agree completely, 100% even if there is an overthrow against the fence, my RF or 1b better hustle their butt to keep that girl at 2nd, I submit that very very rarely will a catcher recover an overthrow and throw out a girl at 2b.

My catchers hustle down the line religiously, or they sit. They know their #1 job is to keep an errant throw from getting into the dugout and giving our opponent a free base.

They do a pincer move with the right fielder who is gunning for the nearest out of play line to do the same. Both can get overthrows if one happens to bounce to them but our 1B usually beats them both to it.

Jun 11, 2013
Not an expert on catching, but to me it's such a waste of energy for the few times that it makes a difference. I think it's worth teaching and like the idea of covering the dugout if close enough otherwise, save the kids legs for when you need it.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Good discussion. A few years I told my dd she should start backing it up. Then on hot weekends I would say she didn't have to. Then she would forget in other games. Then I would forget. Then finally I just declared to officially forget it.
We had a game recently...2 outs... that on a high dart throw from second 1st tipped it off her glove, paniced and could innitially find ball. Dd paniced and tore up the fence to the ball. 1st found it and got to the ball a second before dd. Baserunner from 2nd is tearing around 3rd to an open homeplate. Pitcher panics gets to plate, receives throw from 1st, gets out but is taken down by the slide. She got up fine, but we all needed a change of shorts. Lesson, just stay home.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
I do find it interesting how different opinions can be. That's what I enjoy the most about DFP. IMO, many things can be adjusted as time goes on, and players that are students of the game can adjust as necessary. Just as an example, on our team, we ask the pitcher to be the cutoff on any throw to home plate. Most fields we play on have backstops relatively close to home plate, so we don't find much value with having the pitcher back up home. Recently DD was asked to play as a pickup player for another team. They have their first baseman handle cuts and have the pitcher back up home. Her experience with that process was 10 minutes at their practice and then 20 minutes with me later in the week before the tournament. She handled it well, both as the pitcher and as the first baseman when she wasn't pitching.

I am curious, however, how this topic (catcher backing up first) would be viewed at a college showcase tournament. If someone is scouting a catcher, what would they prefer to see? We are not attending any showcases this year, but hope to try one or two next year. And while I am in favor of keeping the catcher home, if college scouts would prefer the other method, I believe it is my responsibility to teach that.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
It's 100 degree here in Florida this time of year. No way is my C backing up throws to 1B. Having her run an extra mile or so in all that equipment just isn't a great idea.

I don't care how deep my RF is - she isn't 'baseball' deep - she can get there and she better be moving as it is her responsibility - sprinting if need be - my 2B is often headed that way as well.

Also our C is responsible for seeing the field for other runners advancing, other opportunities for outs, etc - so she has plenty to do in addition to receiving, blocking, dealing with wild pitches, fielding bunts, dealing with steals, etc, etc without adding more wear and tear to her.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I took a few throws at first base, during a high school practice this spring. Of course, the throws are all around me and not many even close. I snag a few and the girls are having fun and laughing. But, the one that got away, I turned instinctively to find the RF, and she was dosing out in the middle of right field.

I said "Hey, you need to be here," and I pointed to a spot. She said "no one ever told her that," and to her credit she was there every time, afterwards.

Jun 24, 2013
We started teaching this as early as 8U:

Ball. Base. Backup. Meaning, if you are not making a play on the ball, you are covering your base. If you have neither a play on the ball or a base to cover you are sprinting to your backup position. Every play.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd