Coach defensive responsibilities...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 5, 2018
PNW
The 3 B’s - ball, base, backup

Moving on every play - there’s almost no type of play where each player doesn’t have one of those 3 responsibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was going to say the same thing. 9U team, working on this concept all the time. And it starts to click, Runners on 1st and 2nd. Ball hit to P. 3B isn't fielding so she goes to cover 3B. P turns and drill 3B in back between scaps. OUCH...but HOORAY. Everyone doing their job...just one was a little early on the throw. :)

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Looks like the 3 Bs are well covered.

I would recommend you explain what tagging a runner Means. At 8 tagging means you touch a person with your hand. Make sure they understand that’s not softball tagging.

Jun 18, 2023
Looks like the 3 Bs are well covered.

I would recommend you explain what tagging a runner Means. At 8 tagging means you touch a person with your hand. Make sure they understand that’s not softball tagging.

yesterday my daughter (7) was reaching down to touch first base with the ball.

Jun 18, 2023
Well that would still be an out assuming it was a force.

Well the runner had long since crossed first, but we're trying to reinforce the "get the ball, touch the bag" instinct. Just a good reminder that sometimes when we say "field the ball, touch the bag/tag the runner" we might need to be a little more specific.