Catcher @ 8U Level

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 13, 2010
My 6yo played in the 8u rec league this past summer and fall. She is a pretty good ball player at that level. She started in a infield position, subbed in @ 1st base at times and was the only 6yo to make the tournament team.

I have helped coach with the manager of the team for two years in tee ball and during this years summer and fall teams. We have been talking lately about where to play her next year. Most of the players at this level at the catcher position is only used as a backstop in the league. The catcher misses the ball and will then pick it up and throw it back to the pitcher. This is a rec leage that uses a pitching machine set at 37 mph. Most of the plays are made at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

Although young, my daughter has the build of a catcher and has a pretty good arm. Her ball instincts are great and I would like to start developing her to be a catcher and am trying to convince him to play her at catcher. She played there a little during the fall league and caught almost every pitch thrown. I think this will help the team out next year by allowing the infield to make plays at home. We might be giving up a little bit in the infield by moving her out but would be gaining alot more at the catcher position.

Any thoughts or comments?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Merry Christmas! I feel like you are over thinking this a little too much. Practice with her at catcher, but make sure that she gets experience at a lot of other positions. Also, teach her to hit. She should love it.

Dec 13, 2010
I probably am overthinking it. She doesnt care were she plays as long as she is playing.

She hits alright but not with much power. She was the leadoff hitter for both teams and usuallly got a hit 9 out of ten times with the majority going down 3rd base line. It wasn't until the fall that she started reaching the outfield with some of her hits.

Sep 3, 2009
..my daughter has the build of a catcher..

I'd take all your baseball catcher stereotypes, and write them all down on paper; then burn them. What makes a good baseball catcher, is NOT the same that makes a good softball catcher.

Just like Bucketdad said, play her all over. What she likes now will change 10 times between now and 14u if she's still playing.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
My daughter for winterball was a catcher. She loved it. She is also 8u. However as a coach and a Parent, I still feel she needs to understand all positions in the field. As a catcher for winterball she learned the discipline and took an appreciation for it because of all the hard work it takes for that position. However I would really encourage her and your daughter to play other positions. Keep her knowledgeable in that area though

Mar 13, 2010
I'll echo the 'keep her in all the positions' Teach her more for catching if you want, but understand she needs to learn everything. A player is better for knowing every position. I could step onto any position on the diamond and play it in a pinch. (even catcher. My high school team had a state pitcher and everyone else refused to catch to her, so I caught that season, despite being a first base at the time)

I coach U12s, with as young as 7. I currently have three kids who love to catch. Who all they want to do is catch. Which is fantastic for them, but what about the other kids who want to catch? You can't really specialize them at such a young age (and my 12 year old's are probably on the same skill set as your 6 year old. They start a lot older here) I had a little 7 year old who we had try on the catching gear yesterday, and we taught him some blocking and how to sit. Took the helmet off with the BIGGEST grin on his face. I might now have four people who desperately want to catch ;)

sru

Jun 20, 2008
Build of a catcher? Hmmm....not sure what the typical catchers build is. Tall and lean, short and stocky?

Good arm? Once you hit 12U, every kid needs a good arm. Play her all over the field. If she wants to catch, great, but catchers need to anticipate the play, they should know the game from every position. not just behind the plate.

May 25, 2010
I think this will help the team out next year by allowing the infield to make plays at home.
Won't happen. Most 7-8 year olds are lost in the field and often have to be told where the play is after they've already fielded the ball, even if coach told them before the ball was hit and got verbal acknowledgement on the instruction to 'throw it home'.

You have officially taken my title as craziest parent of a less-than-8yo. Wow.

Now that that's out of the way, I'm glad you posted. It's obvious that your daughter has talent and this forum is here to help.

37mph is fast for 8u. Most of the best 8u pitchers rarely throw that fast, so the machine pitch should help your hitters a lot (in theory). But yeah, if she wants to play more than 10% of the total innings at catcher, that should be doable on an 8u team with average talent. I would not, however, be looking for 50% or more of the innings, as that's not fair to the other girls on a rec team.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
My 6yo played in the 8u rec league this past summer and fall. She is a pretty good ball player at that level. She started in a infield position, subbed in @ 1st base at times and was the only 6yo to make the tournament team.

I have helped coach with the manager of the team for two years in tee ball and during this years summer and fall teams. We have been talking lately about where to play her next year. Most of the players at this level at the catcher position is only used as a backstop in the league. The catcher misses the ball and will then pick it up and throw it back to the pitcher. This is a rec leage that uses a pitching machine set at 37 mph. Most of the plays are made at 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

Although young, my daughter has the build of a catcher and has a pretty good arm. Her ball instincts are great and I would like to start developing her to be a catcher and am trying to convince him to play her at catcher. She played there a little during the fall league and caught almost every pitch thrown. I think this will help the team out next year by allowing the infield to make plays at home. We might be giving up a little bit in the infield by moving her out but would be gaining alot more at the catcher position.

A few comments:

a) There is such a lack of good catchers at 8U & 10U, that I don't think its unreasonable to start playing your DD at catcher for 1 or 2 innings a game IF she likes the position. I agree with others that she should also strive to be a well-rounded player who is capable of playing all positions when she is younger, who knows she may love playing SS or OF in a couple of years?

b) Pitching machines should NOT be used in games. Live pitching should always be used, whether its some combination of coach pitch and/or kid pitch. IMO, girls that have an interest in pitching should be taught some of the basic mechanics and start practicing and pitching in real games. This is the only way the pitchers will get better plus you want the batters to face real pitching not a machine. Are some pitchers going to struggle to throw accurately, Yes, but its a necessary process for improvement. In my experience it works really well and prepares the girls for a higher level of softball.

c) At 8U, I would not worry about plays at home plate or for that matter, getting the lead base runner. Keep the defensive game simple and conservative at this level. Almost all plays should be to 1B. Unless its the winning run coming home in the last inning, get the easy out at 1B everytime.

My last comment is that I do not think you are a crazy parent at all. You are taking an interest in your child's life and thinking ahead, asking questions, setting goals for her, and being an active participant. Too many parents drop their kids off at practice, and come back two hours later, and have no idea what their kid is learning or being taught. Its good to see you are being proactive in this regard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619