Cat Osterman Experience 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
My daughter's team (Xtreme 14U Red) was at the COE last week and had a great time overall. They played against teams from Michigan, Missouri, Tennessee, Florida, Texas, Utah and Nebraska. They learned they were competitive against all these teams and they had a great time bonding.

From my understanding the weather delayed construction so some promised things weren't completed. Yes the dorms were spartan, but they were air conditioned and the mattresses were brand new. The food wasn't ideal, but when feeding 400+ girls, what do you expect? I took my daughter out for lunch and dinner most days anyway so we could explore the area (there's a great soda fountain restaurant in Plattsmouth and plenty of restaurants in Bellevue). I saw no issues with the umpiring - all were professional and friendly in the games I watched. We also brought an umpire who has about 20 years experience. COE provided ice water in a large cooler for the girls at the start of each game and the fields were maintained very well. While no food or outside drinks could be brought in, I just used a water bottle and the water fountain at the barn to stay hydrated.

Cat was at the fields on Wednesday and hung with the girls about a half an inning and coached 1st base for each team (my daughter had a double while Cat was at 1st and was so exited when Cat instructed her "Go 2 Go 2!"). Each girl on our team got an individual picture, plus a team picture with her.

I think the COE is on the right track and will, in a few years, be a very desireable tournament.

Last edited:

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
My daughter's review of COE:

I'm Abby and I'm on the X-treme 14U Red team, which was recently in the COE tournament. Overall, I had a lot of fun in the tournament meeting other teams and also hanging out with mine. The dorm rooms and bathrooms are what I expected, but with all the rain, I think that delayed some of the construction. I liked that all of the games were spaced out and not game after game, so we got a chance to cool off and eat. I also enjoyed meeting Cat and having her coach for half an inning! This was definitely a great experience for everyone in it; for both playing teams from around the world and being in the very first COE tournament.

May 19, 2010
Here are some pictures my dd took when she was there, not the best but it does show some of the inside of the dorms.

100_1689.jpg

the outside
100_1672.jpg

this one shows the floor
100_1798.jpg

Apr 28, 2010
MI
So-so

I was Room Mom. Yes the fields were EXCELLENT. However the rooms you stay in left ALOT to be desired. Along with the bathrooms, which after we were there for a day, they had realized that the doors were set to high and if someone was at the sink they could see someone else going to the bathroom..YUCK. But that issue was resolved the first day. There isnt any mister for the girls as promised, the ice water that is provided is "well' water which 2 of our girls got sick on, and a few on other teams from what I was told. No covered seating, and "Family BBQ Night" is not free to the families, they still have to pay to eat the BBQ so do the players, only "free" food is the planned 3 meals a day for campers. As far as Cat O. being there and coaching half an inning? Not for us, she "stopped in" our dugout, and our opponents dugout for a few min to take pics with the girls & sign their shirts, but never ever coached our team. Did the pic/signing thing while we were batting, and did the same for our opponent. No outside water allowed in, but they will sell you their Aquafina 24pk for 8 bucks, or their 24 pkg of Gatorade for$27.50!!! They close the food area after meals , including after 6pm when dinner ends. So unless your DD wants to drink well water from the fountain, make sure you send "food money" since they have activities, like movie night & bingo, but the tent area where they eat is closed down. Our girls played a 6pm or 7 everyday, with no food to eat unless you bought while there for after the games.

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I agree they should allow food/snacks/drinks brought to the rooms at least. I bought a blanket and some healthy snacks at a local Walmart and used the blanket to sneak in the snacks.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
What really does Cat Osterman have to do with this facility? Is she the founder? The owner? The CEO or what? Is she paid for the use of her name and for her appearances?

I think that Tucson needs a ball park like this and call it the Jenny Finch Experience.

Jul 14, 2010
We are here right now from Alabama (16U Silver Bullets). There are 33 other teams across the country who are also here. The facilities are not as advertised in that they are not complete. I think in a year or two it will be pretty nice. The sleeping areas for the girls and coaches are very tight quarters; if they would give each team two rooms it would be much better. Also they say the reason food and drink cannot be brought is that it is prohibitted by the Health Department don't know if that is really true or not. The softball tournament itself is very well organized and it is neat to meet people from all over the country it is just that when you make people buy your food and drink it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth being that we are a captive audience. I feel sorry for our coaches who have driven over 900 miles and then having to sleep in a bunk bed for a week while I am at a nice hotel sleeping in a king size bed. My daughter said that the food wasn't that great and the lines were long. In this close environment they will either bond together as a team or strangle each other. I really believe that most would not complain if they would relax the food restriction and re-think the room alotted for teams and their coaches or maybe give two different options like stay on site or off site in a hotel or something. I think Cat is sincere as she broke up when she talked about the site but I really think the main money people involved are just that interested in making money - our team and staff consisted of about 16 people at a low introductory prive of $400 per person so about $6000 per team x 34 = $204000 per week in July not counting concessions. The amazing thing is they did not charge us parents and entrance fee, I guess they felt a little bad in that there is no covered seating as advertized. Would I do it again? Not sure; maybe, as we do love softball. Jeffrey

Jul 14, 2010
It is Friday, actual tournament time - we finished at 4-3 so didn't quite make the Gold field of 16 but finished as Number 1 seed in the Silver bracket. This place is kind of growing on me. The kids seem to be having a great time. The fields are rescraped and lined off after each game. My only complaint is that some of the sofballs used are not as good as others kind of like the homerun derby (some were squshy). Since the covered seating was not finished the COE bought pop up tents to go over each bleacher which we then added our tents to each side and we we just fine. The umpiring has been good so far with us, no complaints there, a lot better than the ones we run into back home. So my only advise for COE is to work on providing better sleeping quarters for coaches and players - build bigger barns - jeffrey

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
For those of you wanting to see pictures of the COE, this popped up on my Facebook feed today. I am friends with some of the girls on her team, she tagged them in photos. The bunks don't look all that great, but they definitely seem to be having a good time. They went to the 16U tourney.

ETA: More photos from Facebook

Last edited: