Cat Osterman Experience 14U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 9, 2010
Mission Viejo, CA
Well, the week is just about over, and it has certainly been an "Experience". The fields were maintained very nicely in difficult weather, and Cat O. and Megan W. stopped by to chat with our team for about 7 minutes and that was something the girls really enjoyed.

The accommodations for the players were stark, one communal bathroom for 32 teams that was not cleaned regularly. The walls of the rooms were chip particle wood, and the railings of the decks were not nailed down properly. It appeared the place had been constructed in about 10 days. The coaches accommodations were nothing more than a closet with two bunk beds placed inside, no room to sit or walk or meet or talk. No bathroom, no sink, no mirror, no table or chair, just enough room for two bunk beds. If you are even slightly claustrophobic, don't even think about it. If one of your four coaches snore, no one will sleep for a week.

The umpiring was nothing short of the worst thing we have ever witnessed. Several of our girls got crashed while fielding batted balls, and one broke her finger from the collision. No calls from the umpires. They lock you in a compound, you may bring in no food or water of your own, and the place is highly over merchandised, you are a captured audience.

All in all it was the worst, most uncomfortable softball experience ever, and I would have to say, this format is seriously not recommended. The facility has some serious health/hygiene issues, insects in the food, and the emotionally/physically unhealthy environment created by the umpires made this quite the negative experience.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I know a team that is going all the way there from VA. The website makes it seem grand, but I'm definitely curious to hear other reviews from unbiased sources such as folks like you.

And Lozza, most tournaments won't let individuals even bring in their coolers. We had one liked that once, so one of the dads of a kid on the team had a HUGE cooler. I could have laid in it. We had a handtruck bring it in, claiming it as our one team cooler. They couldn't say anything and it had more food/drink than my fridge at home!

Mar 13, 2010
That's normal that you can't bring in your own water? That's INSANE! Even at BOP (the Olympic stadium in Sydney) you are allowed to bring your own food and drink. They have the canteen, but its not compulsory to buy from there.

May 19, 2010
My dd is there this week, from what she said the dorms are like concentration camps, she was not happy about the bathrooms and said the food that was provided to the players was horrible, other than that she seemed like she had a good time, i didnt go with her so i have no idea on if she was being to picky, what i did notice was yes cat did go to the dugouts with her college catcher, the web site makes you think that at least one other usa team member would be there, and it was only a few min's with each team, they were there for 5 days im thinking she coulda spent a little more time with each team, they have web cams on two fields, but my dd played on one of them and it wasnt working the first two days, i git to see one of the 5 games they played there, and you didnt see at at the opening ceremonies or the closing, this is her complex dont you think she would show up at one at least.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
It seemed strange to me in the beginning that Cat would have time to fly in there. Her softball schedule is tremendous. When I asked that question, I was told that another Olympian would be present.

I agree that some tournaments don't let you bring in food and water, but this is a camping experience. I always send food with my campers.

We need to see pics of the dorms.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I hope she took some pictures. I'm interested to see what this thing looks like. Flying from VA to Nebraska is a long way for girls from about an hour from here to go, so I'm sure they'll be upset if things don't quite go as planned. I've got a friend who is supposed to text me when they arrive, to let me know how things are. I showed her this thread, she hopes it isn't that bad.

May 9, 2008
I just got back from the week long tournament at the Cat Osterman Experience for my daughters 14u team. We arrived last Sunday which was a day early and they allowed her and others to stay the first night free of charge. The facility is brand new, there was still plastic covers on the box springs and mattresses. It appeared as if they have been working hard just to complete the buildings for the opening tournament. Yes, it is Spartan in some regards. It's not the Ritz, but it is a good facility for a Summer Softball Camp experience. My daughter got to meet girls from around the country who shared her common interest in softball. Teams from Australia and Canada as well as parts of the U.S. that we would not normally get a chance to compete against. Each team had the option to bring there own umpire with them. Our team did and he had 39 years of experience. Our team played 9 games in 4 days. Plus they got to engage in a lot of team bonding by playing on the inflatable water slide that is 3 stories high. My wife and son didn't make the trip but were able to follow the competition via the internet. Yes, they do market a lot of logo merchandise, yes, they don't allow outside food or beverage into the field area. You can bring snacks and drinks to your dorm room. The staff was courteous and helpful. The fields were in great shape.

I think that the Cat Osterman Experience is a good place to go and play softball. I think they are open to suggestions and will work to improve every aspect of the facility. I also think they need to be given a chance to prove themselves.

Pops

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi