Can't I just be a fan of the game???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2012
Texas
Yeah your coach is going over borad. Over these past 7 years that softball has been in my life these young girls have taught me that sportsmenship is still alive. I use to be hardheaded like you HC but I have since learned from these girls who are able to play to win but still applaude good plays and hard work on the field. Keep cheer for good plays and girls you know even if they are playing against you cause this sport needs true fans to keep it growing at the rate it is going.

Oct 7, 2009
If you raise great ball players but bad people, you've failed. Anything you can do to make the girls better people, helps us all in the long run. The coach is a jerk.

Apr 18, 2012
New Mexico
I think we should all be a fan of the game and the girls. Granted it is only 8U but I cheer for both teams when they make good plays, good hustle, nice hit, and I try to always clap and tell the ones that strike out good effort. Those kiddos are hard enough on themselves they need all of the encouragement they can get. Your HC is missing out by having an attitude that doesn't support great athleticism and sportsmanship.

May 8, 2012
I've been to plenty of professional and NCAA sporting events where die hard fans who paid good money to cheer on their team have applauded a great play by the opposing team. I see nothing wrong with applauding a great play by a kid who is just playing for the love of the game.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Your coach would go full "Tilt" if he played in our area . Most of the girls know each other from going to school with one another , playing little league or even playing on the same team in the past . It is not uncommon to see 2 or 3 different team jerseys in the stands cheering on their friends . I also know a lot of the girls since softball is a small tight knit community and when we are in between games you can generally find me sitting in the stands cheering on my DD's friends , girls that played for me when I was a Rec ball coach , my Nieces team or just a team that is playing well . Good Softball is good softball and you gotta applaud that no matter what .

Nov 29, 2009
So I applauded her in a way that was still respectful to our team. Wow! HC did not like that one bit! Chewed me out a little for not "supporting our team".

Your coach is an A$$hat!!! The kids know better.

Was coaching 1st the other night. We're facing a good pitcher. She's kept us off base for most of the game. One of our girls hits a laser shot into center for a single. As she rounds 1st and heads back to the base as the ball was bring brought back into the pitcher the 1st baseman turns to her and tells her "Nice hit."

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A great play is a great play, regardless of which team the player is on. The number of former teammates who play for opposing teams is increasing as my DD gets older, and it is always great to see them at the park and cheer them on!

Had a girl who is a really good pitcher/player for one of our rivals whose dad and coach constantly berates her, I make it a point to cheer her on and pull her aside just for a few seconds as we go off the field to tell her how good she is doing each time we play.

If I'm coaching third and the shortstop or third make a good play they are always going to hear about it from me, there is no reason to ignore the other teams players and acknowledge them when they are doing good out there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles