Can't I just be a fan of the game???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
We're a second year 12u team playing league in the 14u bracket. Last night we were up against a couple second year, soon to be 16u teams, and we're getting CLOBBERED! Honestly, exactly what I expected. No worries there.

So last night I'm into the game, and the opposing batter smoked one to the fence and cleared the bases. This girl used to play for me and is a great kid. So I applauded her in a way that was still respectful to our team. Wow! HC did not like that one bit! Chewed me out a little for not "supporting our team". I explained to him WHY I applauded her and that it really was a great hit, and I'm just a fan of the game. I like to see big plays (preferrably by our girls of course) but he wasn't having it!

Anyway, just a rant. I get there is a winner and a loser at every game, however a good play is a good play regardless of who makes it. Just don't see why so many HCs are so over the top. Enjoy the game for what it is every once in a while!

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
Last week the biggest cheer from our parents was for an OF who made one of the best catches I have ever seen in softball, running back towards the fence she leaps and snags an over the shoulder ball and hangs on as she slammed into the turf. She played for the other team.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Fastpitch5, I do that all the time, if you coach long enough soon you get to know other players and I always cheer for them if they make a great play. It doesn't mean we are not out there to win. Your HC is an a$$.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I complement other teams players all the time for their individual efforts.

Nice block catcher, nice throw catcher, nice play third... I did it when I was a coach too. More then once I asked another HC if I could talk to his team and complemented them all on their sportsmanship and defensive play. Any coach who has anything to say to me about that sort of thing, would not be talking to me for very long before I told him what I thought.

Dec 28, 2011
Wow. With all of the negative parents/coaches/players at any given game, I think it's great to see positive responses to great plays, regardless of which team makes them. Keep it up! It only helps your team's reputation to have great, respectful parents and coaches. We try to be one of those teams. Like you said, many of these girls have played together at one time or another, or may in the future. You set the better example for all who were there.

Apr 9, 2012
Do it all the time as a coach on the field. Especially at the younger ages. I compliment good play and on occassion high five a girl who does something extraordinary.

Only 1 coach has ever had a problem with me doing that and hes too afraid to speak to me. I still high five the girls.

That being said I have coached many of these kids at one point between lessons, league, tourney teams, sisters etc etc. Build relationships and you build the sport.

Jun 15, 2012
I'm just a rec head coach but i'm always complimenting good plays by the oppossing team . Cheering a nice play just seems the natural thing to do . As you mentioned in the lead post it's even better when it's a player you coached before,whether when she was just starting out at age 6 or was on your/my team last year.

Feb 29, 2012
The coach is an rear.
In rec leagues I always applaud any girl for a nice hit or play. Heck, when I'm a base coach I'll coach the player if they could have made the play in a better way. rec league should always be about making all the girls better, not just your team. Summer league is different in that regard but that doesn't mean you can't compliment a player for a good play

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30