Can't I just be a fan of the game???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I will always acknowledge a great play by an opponent. It's the right thing to do.

It's a lesson I learned early in life. I was at a Cubs game in Wrigley field, watching them play the then-Milwaukee Braves. There was a ball hit to the outfield and Hank Aaron made an incredible play. My parents began applauding the play. As a rabid Cubs fan I asked why they were cheering the opponent. They explained, as has been said here, a great play is a great play. I never forgot that.

If you're there for the kids, you applaud a great play and compliment the person who made it. If you're just there for your own ego you don't.

Jan 31, 2011
How can you not applaud a great play? I agree with everyone here, its the right thing to do & I do it all the time. I coach 14U TB.

Dec 28, 2011
I know I already commented earlier, but I just thought about this from my DDs prospective. She has had many opposing coaches, and players and an occasional parent compliment her on a great defensive play or a nice hit. These comments mean a lot and the girls always remember "that really nice coach or player". Great life lessons on how to treat people.

I know I already commented earlier, but I just thought about this from my DDs prospective. She has had many opposing coaches, and players and an occasional parent compliment her on a great defensive play or a nice hit. These comments mean a lot and the girls always remember "that really nice coach or player". Great life lessons on how to treat people.

I came into a situation where there was some real animosity between schools/programs. Giving a high five or a "nice play third!" went a long way toward improving relations and getting the focus back on the game. It is surprising how just doing the right thing can have such an influence on the players and the fans.
Now dealing with opposing coaches is not always as easy. But being an adult often requires being cordial and professional. Our kids are watching how we act and react.....

Jun 22, 2010
The day I can't appreciate a great play by ANY team is the day I walk away from this game forever. And straight into therapy, I hope.

Jun 21, 2010
I was coaching summer all stars a few years back and my daughter was pitching. It was a pitcher's duel for the first few innings but then we had a defensive breakdown and lost something like 6-0. After the traditional handshake, the opposing coach pulled my daughter aside and handed her a game ball and said "You pitched a great game. You deserved a better result than that. Keep up the good work."

I thought it was a great gesture. My daughter really appreciated it and I have always tried to use that as an example when watching games no matter which side I am rooting for.

Oct 25, 2009
A few years back (too many) while coaching 1st base I noticed the 1st baseman was touching the bag with the wrong foot. Between pitches I explained to her why she should use her other foot. A couple of our fans asked me on the way to the dugout whose side I was on.

That was back when fastpitch first started around here. Nowadays, I would probably get a lecture from the other team's coaches for messing with their player.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I can't help thinking that the HC's DD was the pitcher and that was why he was irked.;) He needs a new hobby if that bothers him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid