Can travel ball kill a rec. league?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I am curious how the 2 groups get along together on the midweek rec teams. Do the rec-only people resent being relegated to just midweek participation? Do the travel people embrace participating in the midweek program or are they constantly complaining about the level of play and being forced to be there? The people that can't embrace it need to either get an attitude adjustment or join a regular travel team.

This is why the majority of our travel players are allowed to play up in rec - it ups the level of play for them and in general the additional physical maturity of the older girls makes up for maybe the lesser skill level. We don't force anyone to play rec - instead we try to create an environment where there is something for the travel player to get out of it (in this case playing with older players)

As for mid-week - they are fine as long as they get the games/practices in. Also it isn't NO weekend - you can coordinate with the travel teams what tournaments they are entered in and work around it.

Jul 17, 2012
In our area, Little League is the avenue for Rec Ball. If you ask me, the programs that rise and fall, do so based on interest, or lack of. I see it all the time... the faltering programs usually falter because there is little to no developmental instruction. Coaches are parents that have the time and willingness to volunteer. If these volunteers are there to give the kids a social experience as opposed to a competitive learning experience, the league will falter. They will not be competitive, and that causes the kids to lose interest. No kid wants to participate on a team that loses every game they play on the "Mercy" rule. It's not about winning...it's about being competitive. Any talent that does exist on these disaster teams will seek another avenue (Travel). It is IMPERATIVE for the leagues, including the existing coaches to not only look for parental volunteers, but to make sure that they are developed as coaches. Our local little league started with one 10U team 6 years ago. This past year there were 2 overpopulated 10U teams, and 2 overpopulated 12U teams. This coming year it is expected that there should be 3 10U and 3 12U. The league is growing, because they have been smart about it. They encouraged parents to get involved. The experienced coaches show the inexperienced coaches how to develop a team. It's a train the trainer type mentality that will help the league develop.

It's the same concept for small travel organizations. It's almost guaranteed that coaches will follow their daughters as they move up. The organization needs to look to backfill those slots. You can have a bunch of kids and a league for them to play in, but No Coaches = No Teams.

Aug 20, 2013
Great discussion, I guess all in all you just have to make the best of what you've got and trust in a higher power that everything works out for a reason. Some have it better and some have it worse. Thanks to all!

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
This co-mingling of rec and travel sounds fascinating, but what nobody is discussing here is ASA's mandate to keep travel and rec ball separate, at least from March through the end of "all-stars." Our league was also victim to the "if I can't keep the all-star team together for next spring, then I'm taking them to travel" mentality as well, and I've been looking for a way to slow the talent drain ever since.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
and trust in a higher power that everything works out for a reason. !

No, this is not it. If you care enough that you want a desired result you have to get involved so you can help make it happen. It is all about the volunteers who care about their DD's and everyone else's kids that will develop a proper program. It is time consuming and not easy and you normally have to find your own rewards but you get a lot of the 'I made a difference' moments that are priceless.

It is only 'is what it is' when you let other people do all the running of the programs.

Mar 26, 2013
This co-mingling of rec and travel sounds fascinating, but what nobody is discussing here is ASA's mandate to keep travel and rec ball separate, at least from March through the end of "all-stars." ...
Those are local SoCal ASA rules - they're not across all ASA.

Aug 20, 2013
I would have to respectfully disagree. We put in the work and offer to volunteer every season. We put in the work but most times the outcome is out of your hands. If not a higher power, the league pres, coaches other parents ect. So I just chalk most thing that happen to it being what it's meant to be. I make the difference that I can. You can't care or make other people do much of anything.

Jul 26, 2010
The core ASA rules actually make it mandatory to participate in a rec league in order to play B class travel ball. Many organizations get away with pathetic interpretations of "participate" though.

-W

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
How picky are they about this? The girls on our tb team dont even have rec leagues to play in. Most rec leagues in our area dont go beyond 12u.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06