Can tell if the pitch is legal or not.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 1, 2014
Hey guys I'm a longtime reader, but a first time poster. I couldn't find this anywhere previously so I thought I would ask. We recently played a game and the other teams pitcher had a questionable pre pitch routine. She would get on the rubber and take the sign. That's all well and good, but then she would raise her hands like she was starting her wind up. However, she would come back and stop. Then go into the same motion but this time go through the complete wind up and pitch the ball. Would this be an illegal pitch or is that allowed? I have been reading the NFHS rule book and the conclusion I come to that it was illegal, because it resembled the wind up and insinuated that the pitch was coming. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jun 24, 2013
2 rules from an older rule book:

No motion to pitch is made without immediately delivering the ball to the batter
The pitcher does not use a windup in which there is a stop or reversal of the forward motion

I guess you could argue the first one. As long as the pitcher consistently did the same thing I do not know that it would bother me.

Some umps will post a better anwser.

Jun 22, 2008
The pitch does not start until the hands have been brought together and separated. When she raises her hands the first time has she brought the hands together yet, or does she touch them together as she raises them? If she does, then what you are describing is illegal.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Like comp said the moment of separation of the glove and hand is the key. What happens prior to separation is moot. She can stand on the rubber and do the Macarena as long as she does not separate.

Nov 17, 2010
She can stand on the rubber and do the Macarena as long as she does not separate.

<thread hijack on>
Would love to see a pitcher do that in a bottom of the 7th, 2 out, 3-2 count, winning run on base situation!
<thread hijack off/>

Apr 1, 2014
Her hands were apart and she put the ball into her glove to take the sign and then put her hand on the ball. She then rocked forward raising her hands. Her hands never separated. She then reset and then pitched. When I first saw it I thought illegal. The Umps in our area aren't always the best at knowing all the rules. So they told me it was legal and then after the game told me they weren't sure but they were going to check on it and let me know.

Jun 22, 2008
Her hands were apart and she put the ball into her glove to take the sign and then put her hand on the ball.

Little more clarification needed here. Had she already engaged the pitching plate with hands separated? When you say she "put the ball into her glove", was this before or after stepping onto the pitching plate?

Correct me if Im wrong, but from the way you have worded it, it sounds like she has the ball in her throwing hand, is stepping onto the pitching plate, then putting the ball into her glove and separating hands. She then takes a signal and puts her hand back into the glove for the ball. If this is what you are describing, then she is illegal for bringing the hands together and separating them without pitching the ball.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32