Can Runner Run????

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 4, 2010
Okay, I have thought about sending my runners from 1st, or 2nd when the pitcher records a strikeout and the catcher returns the ball to the pitcher. Here is where the question comes in. When the fielders on the opposing team come up to congratulate the pitcher for the K and the bases are left unattended can I steal? Many times the pitcher is not on the rubber and no batter is in the box yet so I am assuming it is a live ball.

Jun 22, 2008
If the pitcher is in posession of the ball with control in the circle your runner will be in violation of the lookback rule and will be called out.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
It's a common misconception, but the pitcher being "on the rubber" has absolutely nothing to do with runners being able to advance or not. Yes, the ball is live in most cases following a strike out and runners can freely advance when the ball is live- up until the point that the Look Back Rule kicks in. Then the runners are restricted in what they can do by the rule.

That's not to say that a runner can never advance when the LBR is in effect. They can, but they have to do so within the confines of the rule.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A hundred years ago, we had to "be on the rubber." That is where the expression comes from.

I actually heard myself shout "Get on the rubber!" once, during a HS game about 10 years ago. The runners were running and the IF was throwing the ball around. It is funny what I think to say, sometimes.

Nov 4, 2010
So to clarify

As long as the runner commits to running and does not stop we should be fine. Im sure it will create all kinds of arguments during the game.

Jun 22, 2008
Make sure you read and understand the lookback rule. If your runners are on the base when the pitcher recieves the ball in the circle, and then step off to advance they have violated the rule. If they are off the base when the pitcher receives the ball, they must immediately choose to advance or return to base.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Guys, no need for all of this. You would think it was the Technical Hitting forum. If someone doesn't understand a rule, help him/her out. No need to get nasty about it. Remember, once upon a time you were a newbie too. The rules aren't always as cut and dried as you might think, which is why they introduce new ones every year.

Case in point. There is an official rule that says after an offensive conference the baserunners must return to the bases they were on before the conference. You would think that would be obvious, but apparently someone pulled something and got away with it so they had to make a rule to prevent it from happening again.

Aug 22, 2009
LBR speaks to possession and control of the ball. Assuming time has not been called, pitcher wants to retie her hair or remove her cap to wipe sweat from brow. Pitcher holds ball between knees or under her arm or under chin. Does she still have "control" of the ball? If the ball slips from pitchers hand on her back swing but dosent leave circle is LBR in effect or should blue call a dead ball? In my mind anytime the ball is not in one of the pitchers hands, she doe not have control. Is control of the ball a judgement of the blue that cant/sholudnt be argued or are there definitions an OC can use to support their positon?

Jun 22, 2008
There are some slight differences in the LBR between different governing bodies. I cant specify for all of them as I work mostly ASA, TCS and FED. TCS follows ASA rules which state posession and control of the ball. If the pitcher puts the ball under her arm, or between her legs to adjust her hair etc, she no longer is considered to have control of the ball and the LBR is off. Same if she were to lay ball and glove on ground to tie shoes, the LBR would be off.

FED only specifies posession, so if pitcher had ball under arm or between legs the LBR would still be in effect. But, if she were tieing her shoes and laid glove and ball on ground, she no longer has posession of the ball. Same with your scenario of the ball slipping out on back swing, the ball is out of the pitchers hand, runners are free to advance at their own risk.

Oct 21, 2009
When the fielders on the opposing team come up to congratulate the pitcher for the K and the bases are left unattended can I steal?

Usually, the ball isn't throw around the infield with runners on base and the ball will go straight back to the pitcher In The Circle. Usually the infielders won't be slapping hands with the pitcher on a K with runners on. I wouldn't waist my time teaching this.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619