Can a batter be called for interference while she is in the batters box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
DD's team has a base runner on 2B. Pitcher throws a ball in the dirt and the catcher looses it momentarily between her legs. Base runner on 2B steals 3B when the throw down to 3B was late. Home plate umpire calls the batter out for interference because in his judgement the batter moved back in the box in an attempt to hinder the throw to 3B. Batter still had both feet in the box. I always thought the batter was OK, as long as she was in the box. Batter was about even with the plate when the pitch was thrown, so it is not like she was at the very front of the box moving backwards. Any of the rules experts on DFP care to offer their opinion?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
One of the many myths of softball, is that the batter is OK, as long as she is in the box. That is not true and she can be called for interference.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
DD's team has a base runner on 2B. Pitcher throws a ball in the dirt and the catcher looses it momentarily between her legs. Base runner on 2B steals 3B when the throw down to 3B was late. Home plate umpire calls the batter out for interference because in his judgement the batter moved back in the box in an attempt to hinder the throw to 3B. Batter still had both feet in the box. I always thought the batter was OK, as long as she was in the box. Batter was about even with the plate when the pitch was thrown, so it is not like she was at the very front of the box moving backwards. Any of the rules experts on DFP care to offer their opinion?

I'm assuming she moved back after the pitch.

Speaking ASA

Rule 7.6. The Batter Is Out
Q. When actively hindering the catcher while in the batter's box.

Usually if the batter does not move she will be OK because it is hard to say she is actively doing anything, especially if she at least ducks or squats down. The hard part is when she moves if she moves into the direction of the player making the play then umpire almost does not have any option she in hindering the throw.

Maybe umps can help us out more: If the runner was already there on the base or a step or two off does it matter that the catcher would have had no play. Also does the runner have to go back to 2B?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In our game the home plate umpire called our batter out for interference and it was the 3rd out of the inning, but if there were less than 3 outs I would assume they would have also returned the base runner to 2B.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
My catcher will purposefully make contact with a right handed batter when throwing to three on a steel from second or a pick off attempt when we have two outs... if that batter doesn't move out of the way, its an easy, guaranteed out for us!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Usually if the batter does not move she will be OK because it is hard to say she is actively doing anything, especially if she at least ducks or squats down. The hard part is when she moves if she moves into the direction of the player making the play then umpire almost does not have any option she in hindering the throw.

Maybe umps can help us out more: If the runner was already there on the base or a step or two off does it matter that the catcher would have had no play. Also does the runner have to go back to 2B?

If there is no play with which to interfere, there shouldn't (and I say that because I cannot speak for what the umpire on the field is seeing) be an INT call. And if INT is called, all runners must return to the last base at the time the INT occurred.

My catcher will purposefully make contact with a right handed batter when throwing to three on a steel from second or a pick off attempt when we have two outs... if that batter doesn't move out of the way, its an easy, guaranteed out for us!

That is not very smart. If I caught you doing that, you and your catcher would be done. It is not only unsportsmanlike, but it is not the rule.

May 30, 2011
On F2 throwing to a base, what being in the batter's box does is raise the standard for what the umpire is going to consider INT. In this case the batter actively moved into the path of F2s throw so INT would be appropriate. Had F2 merely bumped into a motionless batter in the box, most likely no call. Having F2 make intentional contact with the batter who is not actively hindering her throw is at best hoping to bait the umpire into making a bad call.

On the other hand if the batter comes out of the batters box and then interferes with F2s throw merely by being in the path of the throw she is at risk of being called for INT.

On the other other hand (yes this is a third hand!) say it's not a throw by F2 but a passed ball with a runner coming home and F1 coming home to take a throw from F2 at the backstop. Now the batter is obligated to get out of the box and out of the way of the play, or be at risk of being called for INT.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors