LBR in effect with entire infield is in pitcher's circle celebrating a strike out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Yeah I explained it poorly and now I can't remember exactly what the plan was. The whole point was to get her to run back toward third then back toward home again in violation of the rule, using a pump fake and positioning just outside the circle that would allow very slight foot movement the runner wouldn't notice. It was a great scheme (in my mind) at the time, but my kid was busy enough just trying to throw strikes and remember when to cover home. Most of the girls don't even know what the LBR is--they just know they need to get back in the circle. They still had game basics to learn at that point.
The LBR isn’t there to try to fake out the runners. It’s to move the game along without all this running back and forth nonsense that baserunners Would do otherwise.

Jan 25, 2022
The LBR isn’t there to try to fake out the runners. It’s to move the game along without all this running back and forth nonsense that baserunners Would do otherwise.
I understand that. Doesn't mean a savvy pitcher couldn't use it to her advantage.

Jan 22, 2011
Which is why a very experienced umpire who used to post here a lot advocating getting rid of the LBR. Once the ball is back in the circle and umpire declares ball "dead", everyone goes back to their base, and the game continues. I think he said it was what they do in men's slow pitch, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Oct 11, 2018
Atlanta
Which is why a very experienced umpire who used to post here a lot advocating getting rid of the LBR. Once the ball is back in the circle and umpire declares ball "dead", everyone goes back to their base, and the game continues. I think he said it was what they do in men's slow pitch, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

Miss seeing MTR posts…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
If the P has control of the ball in the circle then LBR is in effect. Has to be the P, she has to be in control of the ball, and (not asked here, but) she can't be making a play on a runner. Keep in mind that if the runner is continuing to move towards the next base (even slowly) as the ball enters the circle then she would still have the right to advance.
Side note…There is a pretty infamous trick play involving this type of scenario to win a playoff game (Georgia I think?). Runners on 1B and 3B, 2 outs. Catcher receives a pitch, returns it to the P, turns back to the umpire (actually asks him NOT to call time out), and runs out to the circle. Both runners returned to their bases, and an infielder and/or coach yells to the C that she didn't call time, get back home. She acts like she doesn't understand and they keep yelling. At some point the runner at 3B comes off the base and thinks about running home, is called out on LBR to end the game.
Yeah if I'm the umpire...I'm not letting you manipulate the game like that; if there have been visits by both teams and every time I call time, I'm not changing the rhythm I have established all game to participate in your attempt at deception.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812