Camps that measure a kids metrics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 30, 2020
We use measurables as part of our player profiles for recruiting purposes. If you can do a camp or tournament that does measurables once or twice a year, it gives the girls something to share with college coaches in emails.

I think it also helps to gives the girls/coaches a baseline to identify something that can be worked on whether it is speed or arm strength or bat speed. And that again gives the players a chance to email with coaches to let them know what they are working on improving.

My DD injured herself two days before a camp a couple of weeks ago that did measurables. I was more upset that we wouldn’t get a chance to measure her pop time progress than the camp not refunding us the money.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Can somebody list all the test? 20 yard dash, 40 yard dash, 5/10/5, ect. Can a team just do it themselves to get baseline. Think it a good way of telling player/PARENTS that Jenny needs to put in some extra work and put down the candybar without saying it directly.

Oct 29, 2019
You do.

What subjects in school does she like? What careers are of interest to her at this time? Is she taking the right classes to prepare?

;)
I certainly wasn't thinking about college when I was 13 years old. Hell I wasn't thinking about it 50% of the time I was in college.

I hear you though. There is a very good chance softball is not a part of her decision making when choosing a University.

Jun 8, 2016
I certainly wasn't thinking about college when I was 13 years old. Hell I wasn't thinking about it 50% of the time I was in college.

I hear you though. There is a very good chance softball is not a part of her decision making when choosing a University.
Yeah. When I was 13 I was going to play SS for the Red Sox. Now I am an Associate Professor in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering and live in Oklahoma..so I was pretty close.

Oct 29, 2019
Can somebody list all the test? 20 yard dash, 40 yard dash, 5/10/5, ect. Can a team just do it themselves to get baseline. Think it a good way of telling player/PARENTS that Jenny needs to put in some extra work and put down the candybar without saying it directly.

The one someone mentioned above ODM testing is listed here...

They take all your numbers and give you an overall score.

Others we've done include a 60 feet(home to first) time. Which makes more since to me.

We've done pitching specific ones too, which to me don't really mean as much.

Oct 29, 2019
Yeah. When I was 13 I was going to play SS for the Red Sox. Now I am an Associate Professor in Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering and live in Oklahoma..so I was pretty close.

Nice, when I was only thinking about college 50% of the time it was in Norman, OK.

Oct 4, 2018
I only did ones that were specifically for pitchers that measured DD’s pitching velocity with different pitches (other things were measured as well). I felt these were helpful because I could send them to college coaches and they were objective, not a photo of her standing with a Pocket Radar in her hand flashing a nice number without knowing if it was a run through or a true pitch. 😉

I‘m sure some college coaches like measurables and some probably don’t really care. Maybe your dd could ask a coach at a college camp she attends if they prefer those numbers or not.

The new Pocket Radar does let you sync video to the speed, making it seem harder to fake. But I get your point. Reporting by the family is always suspect to some degree.

Jun 8, 2016
These things remind me of the dinosaur days when MLB would have open tryouts where they would time you running, make you throw from the outfield and then give you a few swings. I was going to go to one when I was in 8th grade but two days before they had it I broke my finger punching some kid in the mouth during a pickup basketball game :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi