Camps that measure a kids metrics

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
I certainly wasn't thinking about college when I was 13 years old. Hell I wasn't thinking about it 50% of the time I was in college.

I hear you though. There is a very good chance softball is not a part of her decision making when choosing a University.

Times have changed. Getting into college is much harder and kids start very early. I can't say it's a bad thing, but it doesn't necessarily seem like a good thing.

Having things other than school is great, of course. Dedication to softball, even if the girl isn't great at it, certainly paints a picture of a more-rounded, healthy young adult.

Jun 8, 2016
Times have changed. Getting into college is much harder and kids start very early. I can't say it's a bad thing, but it doesn't necessarily seem like a good thing.

Having things other than school is great, of course. Dedication to softball, even if the girl isn't great at it, certainly paints a picture of a more-rounded, healthy young adult.
It was my parents job to make sure I had good grades. I seriously didn't care one bit about school until I was a Jr. in HS and I actually started taking classes which didn't bore the sh*& out of me. I did care though that my old man wouldn't let me play ball if I didn't do well in school. People talk about burning out in sports..same thing can happen in school. You want your kid to continue to want to learn well past college...

Oct 4, 2018
It was my parents job to make sure I had good grades. I seriously didn't care one bit about school until I was a Jr. in HS and I actually started taking classes which didn't bore the sh*& out of me. I did care though that my old man wouldn't let me play ball if I didn't do well in school.

One of the additional benefits of Softball (and any sport, hobby, interest) is that you can use it as a way to incentivize grades. I'm sure the majority of us do it to some extent. Or if we're lucky we don't have to but have it in our back pocket in case.

Jul 22, 2015
TLDNR - Am I wasting my money?
Short answer, probably. Unless your kid just jumps off the page with a 2.7 home to 1B or throws 65 as a pitcher, any school she's interested in will need to see her play anyway. I know some schools do use those metrics, but I'm not convinced they really help anyone except those athletes who REALLY stand out. Otherwise, I'd rather spend that money on camps where schools will actually see your dd or just make a strong effort to get them game video.

May 27, 2013
One of the additional benefits of Softball (and any sport, hobby, interest) is that you can use it as a way to incentivize grades. I'm sure the majority of us do it to some extent. Or if we're lucky we don't have to but have it in our back pocket in case.

Ha! That would be the Xbox for my ds! Threaten to take that away and he’ll find a way to walk on water, if asked.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
These things remind me of the dinosaur days when MLB would have open tryouts where they would time you running, make you throw from the outfield and then give you a few swings. I was going to go to one when I was in 8th grade but two days before they had it I broke my finger punching some kid in the mouth during a pickup basketball game :rolleyes:
You don't have to tell us everything but maybe it is therapeutic for you.LOL

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
The one someone mentioned above ODM testing is listed here...

They take all your numbers and give you an overall score.

Others we've done include a 60 feet(home to first) time. Which makes more since to me.

We've done pitching specific ones too, which to me don't really mean as much.
I don't know about those numbers. From Jr. High to 11th grade the average bat speed only goes up only 1 mph??? Some of the other number too. I guess you could figure that girls getting tested when they are 13 y/o are probably pretty serious about the game which would explain higher than expected numbers for that age group. Thoughts?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
These things remind me of the dinosaur days when MLB would have open tryouts where they would time you running, make you throw from the outfield and then give you a few swings.

That about describes DD's HS softball tryout. :unsure:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24