camcorder choice and specs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2011
NC
I need some advice on what to look for when selecting a camcorder to record for analyzing, what specs should I be looking for, also something that is user friendly I don't have time to be a techie.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you search for camera you see a lot of different opinions. Here are 2 recent threads:

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/9149-handy-p-s-camera-slo-mo-feature.html
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-discussions/8828-camcorders-software.html

You have to decide what you are going to do with it. I like Playsport one but I download the images to a computer before messing with them, there are better options if you want to record and show the Player the video on the field.

Lot of good options out there for <$200.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
We just picked up a Canon ELPH 100 HS compact point and shoot (see link above.) Very small and kinda slow to navigate through the functions, but for just over a $100 on sale, it has an impressive slo-mo feature. For a little more $, the next models up might offer easier access to controls.

I also really like the under $10 app for smart phones by RVP. If you happen to have a smart phone, try it out before you fork out bigger cash on either a P/S with slo-mo or a camcorder. RightView Pro Baseball & Softball Training - Swing Analysis Software - Hitting or Pitching

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
The FPS frames per second is one specification to look at, 60 is adequate, you can find cameras with much more. However a high FPS is no guarantee of good clear pictures when you freeze the frame, this is where shutter speed comes in, you need at least 1/1000 or higher. I have a Sanyo Exacti which is several years old, it can record as high as 600 fps but not at high shutter speed. The slo-mo is very slow but the freeze frame is blurred. I usually record in HD at 60 FPS but use 1/1000 second shutter speed. It also allows immediate playback along with slo-mo and freeze frame. I use it a lot to shoot and show the results during the lessons. I take it to games and do the same thing, LL, high school or college. At 2-3 yrs old it is old technology, there are probably cheaper cameras that will do the same things.

Feb 17, 2011
I bought a refurb Canon zr960 for $149 about a year ago and it is awesome. It has 1/2000 shutter speed and is very clear in slomo and freeze frame modes. With the firewire port it is a breeze to put its content into my laptop via a firewire card.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad