Calling pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2014
How does your catcher know what's coming? I am going to assume you are a coach on the team. How is the catcher being taught how to call a game if she is not at least part of the process?

I do clue the catcher in on location, just not the speed or delivery (i.e. curve ball), we also have 2 very good catchers (a luxury). where we are in her softball life, we are still trying to keep it in or near the strike zone. She pitched two innings in this game with this umpire and she gave up only one hit, no walks, no runs and struck out three.

May 17, 2014
I do clue the catcher in on location, just not the speed or delivery (i.e. curve ball), we also have 2 very good catchers (a luxury). where we are in her softball life, we are still trying to keep it in or near the strike zone. She pitched two innings in this game with this umpire and she gave up only one hit, no walks, no runs and struck out three.

You really should send the signals through the catcher or at the very least develope a system they both get the signal at the same time.
Not sure what level your daughter is pitching. If she is throwing with any kind of speed or has any break at all it has to be very difficult for the catcher to stop the ball.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
coachbob - sometimes it is just to take a breath or remember her "hip" work so her mechanics stay true.

Okay....you have me confused now.:confused: How do you signal to your pitcher "hip work" or take a breath? If it's a simple gesture, why can't it go through the catcher? If it's not a simple gesture, why can't your catcher call time and have a few words about it with your Pitcher when needed? If it's a simple matter of yelling out to your Pitcher, you can accomplish the same thing by signaling the pitch through the Catcher and then yelling to the Pitcher. It happens all the time on fields all across the country. Basically, there is no valid reason not to signal the pitch through your catcher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi