Calling pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2014
First post on this site. Looks like a lot of great discussions going on.

I have a question related to ASA pitching rules. My daughter is 13 and we are in our final weeks of 12U. She has pitched since she was 8 years old and for the past 3 years I have been calling her pitches. After scores of games played in four different leagues, today a new umpire (to us) told me I can't call pitches directly to the pitcher but have to send all signals thru the catcher. I pressed the umpire to quote me chapter and verse from the ASA rules and he could not, responding it's in the rules and "I need to look it up". Since I a lot of my communication to my pitchers is not just about which pitch to throw it is impractical to send them in via the catcher.

Does anyone know if this is actually a rule and that it also applies to 12U ball? I see colleges call in pitches directly to the pitcher and they check the pitch on their armband.

Any help or clarification is greatly appreciated.

Coach Z

Jun 22, 2008
No such rule. The rule says, take or simulate taking a signal from the catcher. It does not limit who the pitcher may take the signal from.

Oct 24, 2010
First post on this site. Looks like a lot of great discussions going on.

I have a question related to ASA pitching rules. My daughter is 13 and we are in our final weeks of 12U. She has pitched since she was 8 years old and for the past 3 years I have been calling her pitches. After scores of games played in four different leagues, today a new umpire (to us) told me I can't call pitches directly to the pitcher but have to send all signals thru the catcher. I pressed the umpire to quote me chapter and verse from the ASA rules and he could not, responding it's in the rules and "I need to look it up". Since I a lot of my communication to my pitchers is not just about which pitch to throw it is impractical to send them in via the catcher.

Does anyone know if this is actually a rule and that it also applies to 12U ball? I see colleges call in pitches directly to the pitcher and they check the pitch on their armband.

Any help or clarification is greatly appreciated.

Coach Z

[ASA] 6.1.D While on the pitcher's plate, the pitcher shall take the signal or appear to take a signal with the hands separated. The ball must remain in either the glove or the pitching hand.

It doesn't say anything about where the signal must originate.

Mar 26, 2013
The gist of the rule is the pitcher has to pause when they take their position on the plate. It keeps them from surprising the batter and from having a rolling start for their delivery (i.e. carrying momentum of stepping onto the plate into the delivery).

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
How does your catcher know what's coming? I am going to assume you are a coach on the team. How is the catcher being taught how to call a game if she is not at least part of the process?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
There has to be a noticeable pause once the pitcher addresses the pitching rubber, and this would normally be the time that the pitcher would receive the pitch call from the catcher. If the pitcher already knows the pitch call, a simulated pause is sufficient.

May 30, 2011
The rules require the pause for a "signal or simulated signal". Nothing precludes f1 from also taking a signal from somewhere else at any time. They simply must follow the pitching preliminaries.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
Why don't you teach me how to teach them? I started a new thread on it. You are a strong advocate of the catchers calling the game. How do you teach it?
Edit: I see you have replied.

Last edited:
May 10, 2014
coachbob - sometimes it is just to take a breath or remember her "hip" work so her mechanics stay true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi