called out for not touching home

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2014
In ASA the umpire is supposed to hesitate briefly and then call the runner safe.
If a proper appeal is then made he then calls her out.

Oct 10, 2013
The hc and I didn't complain. Umpire was consistent all day until that call. Our fans were in shock....poor kid was hurting. ....we make sure 1 coach has an eye on home plate

We had very good umpires (except 1 game ) this yr. A couple of tournaments ago we had a set of umpires who thought they were the show. It was Leslie Nielsen in the movie naked gun or the sequel. Call a strike and move on.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
In ASA the umpire is supposed to hesitate briefly and then call the runner safe.
If a proper appeal is then made he then calls her out.

That's the procedure if the runner misses the plate AND the fielder (with the ball) misses a tag of the runner, at the same time, all on one play. The pause is to see if the runner will re-touch the plate. The safe signal is a ruling that the tag attempt was not valid.

The first post didn't give the details of the play being discussed. Unless there was a tag attempt missed, no safe signal should be given.

Jun 11, 2013
I'm with stickpile. We'll all complain about the bad calls, but most of the umpires we encounter are pretty good. Because of this, the ones who are bad tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

Mar 15, 2014
That's the procedure if the runner misses the plate AND the fielder (with the ball) misses a tag of the runner, at the same time, all on one play. The pause is to see if the runner will re-touch the plate. The safe signal is a ruling that the tag attempt was not valid.

The first post didn't give the details of the play being discussed. Unless there was a tag attempt missed, no safe signal should be given.
True--for some reason I assumed a tag was made attempted.
The umpire just should have kept his mouth shut.

I'm with stickpile. We'll all complain about the bad calls, but most of the umpires we encounter are pretty good. Because of this, the ones who are bad tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

I am okay with the occasional blown judgement, but ignorance of the rules--or a missaplication of them--really boils me up.
Our girls play hard and to lose a game via umpire ignorance is unacceptable.

Last edited:
May 22, 2012

no tag attempt, runner beat the throw and was safe by several steps....Or should have been safe :p

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
couple years ago we had one of the worst calls I've ever seen. Ball to the OF, our runner on 2nd touches 3rd while rounding the base, goes back to 3rd and stands on it thinking she can't score before 3B coach sends she home where she scores pretty easily ahead of the throw. Trail runner is now heading to 3rd on throw home and slides in safe under the return throw from catcher. HPU calls out the runner who scored for missing 3rd base and says throw down to 3rd to get the trail runner was automatic appeal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matt_g