Bunting with Bases loaded and less than two outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
I think this says it all:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KVyRBCk_V1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jun 11, 2013
I've done it twice

One time hitter was hurt and just couldn't swing and didn't have a sub.

The other time, I felt the hitter had little chance to put the ball in play any other way.

Neither time did I get a run, but on the 2nd one I at least made them make a play.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In the right situation, it makes sense. When coaching 3B, you make decisions based upon facts, not feelings. If a coach can't explain specifically "why" s/he did something, then s/he doesn't know what s/he is doing. (It is OK to say, "I let her bat because she was 6/10 in the previous game." It is not OK to say, "She was due.")

At 14U, I've done in the bottom of the 8th with the scored tied.

But:

1) I had my best bunter at the plate. She wasn't fast, but she could place the ball very well. Additionally, the team knew the difference between a sacrifice and bunting for a hit. She knew that her main job was to get the ball down. She wasn't going to "jump out of the box" and try to beat out the bunt. She was going to be patient and make sure that she made a good bunt.
2) I had my best base runner on 3rd base--she was very fast.
3) I looked at the defense and 3B and 1B were playing behind the base.
4) The pitcher didn't walk many people, and was always around the plate.

I called a safety squeeze. So the runner took a larger than normal lead, and took off when she saw the ball hit the ground.

The batter pushed the ball about 10 feet from the plate down the 1B line. The defense was surprised. 1B charged. 2B and the P decided to enjoy the show, so they didn't bother moving.

The runner was on home plate before the catcher touched the ball.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
I've done it a few times. But as Sluggers said. The stars must align to pull it off.

The last time I did it I had my best bunter at the plate, fastest girl on 3rd, RHP and LH 1st baseman. 2nd was even with the baseline. The girl at the plate pushed a ball passed the charging 1b towards the 2nd baseman that died even with the middle of the circle. I could have not rolled the ball out there better than she put it there. 1b changed direction to reach the ball but ended up out of position to make the throw home. The pitcher could not get there and the 2b was too far back to get to the ball.

It takes a bunter with good situational understanding and skills to pull it off. It takes a runner who knows to NOT to do a slide-bye. Throw in the some luck and you have a recipe for an exciting play.

Jul 2, 2013
I did it recently in 10U in a 0-0 game and it didn't end well. At the time it made sense. The defense was playing back and hadn't charged the other bunt we had attempted earlier but we didn't execute quite as well this time. Batter "chased" a low pitch and bunted it directly into the ground 4" in front of the plate. Catcher picked up the ball and that was it. If the bunt had gone anywhere outside of a 3' radius of the catcher we would have scored.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I am not a fan of potentially busting a big inning. Regarding the Squeeze (I love it)
Successful execution is dependent on the runner at 3B, she has to be a 'hard nosed'
runner. She must get a great jump on release and go full bore to the plate. Slight hesitation
kills the play. Historically my teams have had only 1-2 girls who have the grit required for success.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
This is a great topic... Last night we were scrimmaging our little sister team 4 inning straight up, then 4 innings of situations. We are an 18 Team and I was shocked at how many kids didn't know the difference between the Squeeze and Safety Squeeze.

For the OP, in this situation I wouldn't try the bunt. As others mentioned, you have to have the right girls in place to pull off the Squeeze, and it really is a high risk call (pitch location, type of pitch, ect)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I never bunt with bases loaded, but a squeeze absolutely. If the runner at third can to the plate in time to avoid a tag they will probably avoid a force. We have even done it playing college teams and caught them sleeping. Like one of those college coaches said "Who the hell does a squeeze with bases loaded?" I went down this road after a story Dot Richardson told me when she was at the plate with 2 outs, 3-2 count, and bases loaded vs Japan. She stared at a change up right down the pipe because nobody throws a changeup with 2 outs, a 3-2 count, and bases loaded! :)

I am with Riseball. A suicide or safety squeeze may work, especially if the batter has a better chance of getting a bunt down than putting the ball in play.

Dec 11, 2010
I was never a fan of squeeze until one of DD's landed on a team with a coach that knows when to do it and actually practiced it.

It has been dynamite and broke many an inning open.

Btw he never safety squeezes. It's always a "you better get a bat on this because she's coming". That's part of what makes it work. I'll keep the rest to myself for now, lol!

Mar 7, 2012
PA
I've done it three times this season. Once we did it because my hitter hurt her hand and we were in the last inning with no subs it didn't work but came close. We did it twice this past weekend with success, one time we had a speedster on 3rd and she got a good jump and perfectly placed bunt between P/1st that took a weird spin. Last time we did it b/c my hitter was struggling but had placed a few good bunts down earlier and we noticed their 1st baseman never charged so my batter did a nice drag down the line. It has to be perfect situation it works but id never do it with my power hitter only i certain situations.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi