Bunting with Bases loaded and less than two outs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Wow....y'all don't gamble much?

I will do it with bases loaded and fast runner on 3rd in a heart beat...16U or 18U. Sleeping or not sleeping. Runner on 3 job is take off running on release and batters job is to lay the bunt down. No if ands or buts...just do it. Now granted when all the marbles are on the line I may be a little hesitant. I would rather try and fail than not try and fail.

Not knocking any one that plays it safe but we love a little extra excitement in the game.

Jul 5, 2016
I noticed that Oklahoma did this to Auburn twice in the WCSWS. Patti Gasso saw that the positions of the Auburn defenders created an opportunity and went for it.

Feb 15, 2016
Wow....y'all don't gamble much?

I will do it with bases loaded and fast runner on 3rd in a heart beat...16U or 18U. Sleeping or not sleeping. Runner on 3 job is take off running on release and batters job is to lay the bunt down. No if ands or buts...just do it. Now granted when all the marbles are on the line I may be a little hesitant. I would rather try and fail than not try and fail.

Not knocking any one that plays it safe but we love a little extra excitement in the game.

I just saw it work against a good 18U team in a game that was tied 1-1. It was used at the right time with a fast runner on 3B and a fast slapper and good bunter at the plate. Runner at 3B left on release with zero hesitation, bunt got down towards 1B but not down the line, throw to the plate was late by a step and runners were safe all around. The coach had the slapper try a hard slap that went foul past 3B on the first pitch. I think that helped set the squeeze up.

Jun 11, 2013
I would like to know if they OP is talking about a bunt of a suicide squeeze play. In my mind it's not the same thing. A safety squeeze or a bunt for a hit
is not a great play with bases juiced. Even the squeeze is tough. I saw a team win 2 games on squeezes this weekend, but both times runner would have
been out on a force.

Nov 3, 2012
In a tournament in LA, this weekend and down 4-1 in second inning . We had the bases loaded with one out. One of our better power hitters is up. Coach calls for the suicide squeeze. Pitch is outside. Power hitter pulls back bat. Runnner on 3rd gets get hung out and stuck in the middle and eventually tagged out. So now 2 outs runners on 2nd and 3rd. Power hitter hits deep fly ball for out. We walk off with zero runs. We eventually lose the game by one point. HMMMMMMM.

That's the wrong time to call the squeeze play

Feb 17, 2014
DD's team faced this a couple of weeks ago.

Bases loaded, no outs in the first inning. Starting pitcher was pulled after walking 2 and hitting 3. They bring DD in and on the first pitch suicide squeeze. We didn't stand a chance.

Mar 28, 2013
If we load the Bases with no outs, most likely I'm squeezing, count on it. Id even do it with two outs from time to time. I would guess our success averages about 70% with the runner safe at first. Don't know about other teams but we don't have allot of .700 batters in our line up. Makes even more sense against good pitching. yeah the pitcher is a stud but is the third baseman. lets find out. overthrow scores three.

An unexpected bunt is a great bunt, number 3 hitter hits a triple, clean up batter comes up, corners are playing back, she drops down a bunt, we score, win 1-0 and go to Championship game at TCS World Series.

Mar 28, 2013
Hard to believe the coach called a squeeze without the batter knowing that pulling back is not a option. For it to work you have to actually have to practice it and the players need to know you put a bat on the ball no matter where its pitched, seen a batter golf one that bounced in front of the plate for a successful squeeze so Id say great play call, bad execution.

In a tournament in LA, this weekend and down 4-1 in second inning . We had the bases loaded with one out. One of our better power hitters is up. Coach calls for the suicide squeeze. Pitch is outside. Power hitter pulls back bat. Runnner on 3rd gets get hung out and stuck in the middle and eventually tagged out. So now 2 outs runners on 2nd and 3rd. Power hitter hits deep fly ball for out. We walk off with zero runs. We eventually lose the game by one point. HMMMMMMM.

That's the wrong time to call the squeeze play

Nov 3, 2012
If we load the Bases with no outs, most likely I'm squeezing, count on it. Id even do it with two outs from time to time. I would guess our success averages about 70% with the runner safe at first. Don't know about other teams but we don't have allot of .700 batters in our line up. Makes even more sense against good pitching. yeah the pitcher is a stud but is the third baseman. lets find out. overthrow scores three.

You think the runner scores with runner safe at first with success rate of 70%. You must be playing against crappy defenses or you have the best bunters of all time. With bases loaded, it makes an easier play for defense as you can just flip it to the catcher and you have an easy out and potential double play by catcher on a short bunt. Also if its a close game, the defense is going to be playing in which makes the bunt tougher. Lets get real, if you have you're bunting .700 with bases loaded you must be bunting over .800 without bases loaded. Your kids must have scholarships locked up.

I looked back at our books, and we've bunted 7 times with bases loaded this season and less than two outs. We've only scored the runner on 3rd 4 times and we did not score any more runs. So that gives us a .571 success rate of scoring one run. Most of the time the defense is glad to give it up, and takes the out of first.

If we swung away a lot of things can happen. You can get a hit, walked, sac fly, score on a fielders choice or the defense could make an error. Chances of a hit are higher because the pitcher has to come at you and the defense is in making a chance to get a hit higher. Not sure of stats, but I estimate teams score at least two runs on average with the bases loaded and with zero or one out. So if my conservative estimate is correct about 2 runs with bases loaded, we would have scored 14 runs vs the 4 that we scored by bunting. So by bunting with the bases loaded our, team has lost ten runs this season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi