Bunting R1 to 3rd base?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
I guess if the team teaches that their pitcher is a pretty pretty princess unable to do a damned thing besides throw the ball, it would work. WTF is the pitcher doing, she's 40 feet from third base, maybe 50 if she moves in to field he bunt. The runner is 110' with a good lead.

-W

Jul 1, 2010
This ^^^^^^.
Saw it work well in 12U with poorly coached teams. Not so much in 14U. Saw an attempt in March tournie this year, result was two outs.

Jun 24, 2013
Why I changed my prospective a little bit is depending on our 2nd you can get away with this play. When the P is warming up, and can watch the IF warming up, I think you have a good idea if this will work or not.

With DD's team 80% of the time 2 outs, 20% free base. You need to pick your spot..

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
We practiced this defense and I never had LF cover 3rd. LF is a backup and has a responsibility as does all other OFs. Typically, the runner is stealing on this play. That is the first clue. Against our team, she would have to be as my 1B practices this throw as much as does SS throwing to 1st. On the bunt, we divide the front of the plate into zones of responsibility. Catcher calls who fields or iows, directs traffic. If 3B has charge in on line and catch has moved out down the line, catcher takes 3B and LF is backup. If ball is in zone between 3B and P. Whomever catcher calls for ball, other rotates to 3B. Again, we do this with a pitcher throwing a pitch, a runner standing in the left handed batter's box, a runner on 1st. Coach, me, stands in the right handed box. Shows bunt for vocal, has a ball in hand and rolls it out somewhere. Catcher catches pitched ball and discards.

Aug 23, 2011
as a coach, with a runner on first and no outs, bunt and runner advancing from first to 3rd is a total game changer!!!

imo,

force mistakes...not create them....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd