Bunted ball hits batter - fair or foul - who's call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
Yes, either can make the call. There are times the PU may be blocked out of seeing something the BU can see.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Yes, either can make the call. There are times the PU may be blocked out of seeing something the BU can see.

Either umpire can make the call that the batter was hit by a batted ball. The decision on whether or not she was in the batter's box when hit belongs to the plate umpire.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Either umpire can make the call that the batter was hit by a batted ball. The decision on whether or not she was in the batter's box when hit belongs to the plate umpire.

Please explain to me how the PU can decide where the batter relative to the batters box if it was only the BU who saw the ball hit the batter.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Please explain to me how the PU can decide where the batter relative to the batters box if it was only the BU who saw the ball hit the batter.

The PU can often be blocked from actually seeing the batted ball hit the batter by the catcher or the batter's body. Usually, as PU, I will think that the ball hit the batter, but not actually see it, so I wait for my partner to make that call. I know where the batter was when she was potentially hit, since I am right there, so that judgement belongs to PU. The BU can easily see the ball hit the batter, but due to angles and the possibility that the batter's box lines are no longer clear, the BU should not be making the judgement about the batter's location from 70 - 80 feet away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck