Bungee cord for pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2013
Any of you purchased a bungee cord and belt to work on leg drive? I've been looking online and they are quite pricey. Anything I can get at Walmart etc.? What did you use? Thanks.

Bleacher Bum

Avid student of the game
Aug 29, 2013
NorCal
Have you looked for SKLZ Recoil 360. I think they list for $39 but can be purchased cheaper on ebay or other sites.

Dec 7, 2011
Pc uses the colored shock bands that you can get for exercising. Then attaches these to a weight lifting belt and attaches this to the wall.

This works well except for when they break it can be dangerous. Luckily nobody got anything worse than a snap red mark from it.

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
Exercise band is what we also use. We got one that looks like a jump rope and cut one of the handles off, so when it breaks it is just the band slapping me not a plastic handle. Also you can inspect them every time, you will notice stress cracks that will tell you time to trash.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
A couple years ago I purchased a bag of bungee cords for like $5. I just connected a few together and wrapped one around DD's waist. Hooked the other end to the fence behind her. Worked fine.

Curious....what is it you are trying to accomplish with the leg drive focus?

How far out she can land? Speed of leg drive? Create some energy? Height of leg drive? Ability of the landing leg to stabilize and create front side resistance? Ability to time landing heal plant with the arm circle being at a certain point? Angularity of the leg relative to upper torso when it lands? Angularity of the foot when it lands? Toe touch down first or heal first?
There are a lot of things to consider relative to leg drive. Bungees are ok but there is a lot more to it than one simple tool will assist with.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Rick, we used the bungees when we first started talking to DD about using her legs more and driving off the rubber. I want to say I did the drill 2 or 3 times. It was simply to get her to feel herself using her legs. I did not want to create any bad habits, so it quickly went away. I was fearful that it would be counter productive to the longer stride we were trying to get from her. I found that the run through drill accomplished more for her leg drive and was more realistic movements.

Oct 19, 2009
I had a friend give me an old weight lifting belt, purchased an exercise ban from a local rehab center, they have them in rolls with different tensions, fixed a hook to one end to clip on a fence and the other tied to the belt. I don’t remember what I gave for the ban, but not more than $10.00.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd