Bullet spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 5, 2010
DDs new team has 2 other pitchers which throw a very predictable bullet spin fastball. There is no movement what so ever and at 14U, level this is going to spell trouble. They throw hard and have been able to get by with speed up till now but I think those days are going to come to a quick end.
My dd has never thrown with bullet spin because I would not allow it. So the big question is how do I go about retraining these girls to get a true 6/12. I know what I think is going to have to happen but I would like to hear from more qualified coaches.

Jan 25, 2011
DDs new team has 2 other pitchers which throw a very predictable bullet spin fastball. There is no movement what so ever and at 14U, level this is going to spell trouble. They throw hard and have been able to get by with speed up till now but I think those days are going to come to a quick end.
My dd has never thrown with bullet spin because I would not allow it. So the big question is how do I go about retraining these girls to get a true 6/12. I know what I think is going to have to happen but I would like to hear from more qualified coaches.
Are you their coach or PC? If not then you have to leave that up to their PC or coach.

Feb 5, 2010
Nanotech,
Of coarse I'm a coach or at least that is what they call me to my face. The head coach has asked me to do this for his dd.

Jan 25, 2011
Teach them how to throw a peel drop,change up and a riseball. As far as movement goes just put more pressure on the threads of the ball with the index finger or the middle finger.

Feb 5, 2010
All of my dd fastballs tail down because they spin the way she was taught. Now to me that is not unpredictable but to a lot of 14 year old girls around here it is more than enough to get them to miss hit a ball. I'm simply looking for the best way to correct bullet spin here. I never said anything about unpredictable movement. Where did you get that from? I want to correct what most people would veiw as not the best spin to have. Is there a time and a place for it, sure but not all day long. I will take a tailing ball anyday

Jan 25, 2011
All of my dd fastballs tail down because they spin the way she was taught. Now to me that is not unpredictable but to a lot of 14 year old girls around here it is more than enough to get them to miss hit a ball. I'm simply looking for the best way to correct bullet spin here. I never said anything about unpredictable movement. Where did you get that from? I want to correct what most people would veiw as not the best spin to have. Is there a time and a place for it, sure but not all day long. I will take a tailing ball anyday
Have them practice at home sitting on the couch just learning to get the ball to spin right off the fingers feeling it and seeing the rotation. Has your dd practiced much with applying different pressure with the index finger or the middle finger to take that tailing ball to the next level with it breaking in and out? Try it.

Feb 5, 2010
Thanks Nano,

My dd does this a lot with the revfire at home. We are going to see Hillhouse next week and pick his brain till it hurts about finger pressure. I'm dealing with a couple girls who have not realized that speed alone is not going to get them to the next level. If these were my girls this would not have happened to start with. I know that I'm going to have a difficult time getting them to understand that slowing down to learn a pitch is just part of the process. Oh sure they will slow down and work on a spin. Then after 10min or so they are back to full speed throwing bullet spin. Your typical 14 year old with 5 pitches that all look the same.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I use the Spin Right Spinner. It is $30.00 ish. I do believe if someone was handy, they could cut these out of a block of wood.

Yes, I agree, that a 14 yo, is just going to go back to what she is used to. If the coach really wants to break his DD of it, don't let her pitch until she corrects her spin.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes