Bug Squishing, why not?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
When you get old all the years kind of run together. I recently had a guy out to look at my water heater because the pilot light wouldn't stay lit. I was thinking it was about 6 years old. He looked at the badge on it and said it was from 2002. Oh well.

Oh well Ken. They say time Flys when u r having fun! U must have been having great time!!!!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Despite all of the other differences of opinion about the finite details of swing mechanics, one thing that is in universal agreement by DFP swing geeks...

"Squish the bug" is WRONG.

Jun 18, 2010
Despite all of the other differences of opinion about the finite details of swing mechanics, one thing that is in universal agreement by DFP swing geeks...

"Squish the bug" is WRONG.

That, and if you cross Rich, he'll put you on blast.

Jun 8, 2010
If you squish the bug you're just spinning on the back leg. You're not creating power. Quality hitters drive their bodies into the ball. Bug squishers just sit on their backsides, driving no power from the lower body forward.

Not surprised that coaches with 30 years of experience would say to squish the bug. That's how hitting was taught 30 years ago. But it hasn't been taught that way, at least by anyone who has studied what really goes on during the swing, for at least the last 10.

Always be suspicious of anyone whose "how-to" videos are on VHS.

What are some drills you do, Ken, to teach an athlete to generate power from the back side, driving into the ball?

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
Ok. Got it. We have been teaching to not just rotate, but to be driving off the back foot/hip. Have also not been forcing the kids to keep back foot planted. With the videos posted look like I am on the right track. Thanks everyone.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but my team is 10u.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have been in softball longer than 30 years, so I saw it (squish the bug) come and I saw it go. I changed what I taught to reflect what the top hitters are doing. I haven't taught it for 12 or more years.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Ok. Got it. We have been teaching to not just rotate, but to be driving off the back foot/hip. Have also not been forcing the kids to keep back foot planted. With the videos posted look like I am on the right track. Thanks everyone.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but my team is 10u.

Think about this...The action of the rear foot is a reaction to what is happening in the rear hip and upper rear leg, not a center of the action itself.

My DD is 10yo. Figuring out the best way to communicate swing movements to young players can be more challenging than understanding the movements yourself.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Think about this...The action of the rear foot is a reaction to what is happening in the rear hip and upper rear leg, not a center of the action itself.

My DD is 10yo. Figuring out the best way to communicate swing movements to young players can be more challenging than understanding the movements yourself.

DD went to a D-1 college hitting camp recently, and the head coach was preaching the 'drive the back knee in' advice.

Do you consider the back knee action the same, that is, a reaction to what is happening in the rear hip & upper rear leg? That's my take on it. I don't talk much about on knee and foot w/ DD. I don't think 'drive the knee' is wrong necessarily, but it makes more sense to me to discuss hip and even back more than knee.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
That's my take on it. I don't talk much about on knee and foot w/ DD.
Thome2012.gif

I don't worry about the rear foot nor what the rear foot looks like after contact with my DD.
I'm more concerned with the 'stretch' and 'separation'. SNF.

Last edited: