Brooke 11u swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Typically when I read these threads, I learn quite a bit. Unfortunately, the first thing I learned here was that GOINGDEEP's prediction on page 1 was off by 16 or 17 pages....:)

But seriously, Benz, someone made reference to "hand usage" in here someplace. That is the first thing I would work on. Overall, for someone that has just started, you should be very proud. I have seen players with far more experience that don't swing this well. Congrats!

Dec 24, 2012
Chicago, IL
Typically when I read these threads, I learn quite a bit. Unfortunately, the first thing I learned here was that GOINGDEEP's prediction on page 1 was off by 16 or 17 pages....:)

But seriously, Benz, someone made reference to "hand usage" in here someplace. That is the first thing I would work on. Overall, for someone that has just started, you should be very proud. I have seen players with far more experience that don't swing this well. Congrats!
that is funny that going deep called it lol, we will keep swinging

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Definitely dropping her hands more than I would like. First time using the infi T I will have to video her off the Tanner T to see the difference in pitch location

Here is a slow motion swing of my dd. Sometimes you can start out slow to have the hitter feel tilt, and to keep the hands up on rotation.
Hand path device 2 2010 02 21 20 07 06 - YouTube

It also looks like you dd's back arm wrist is straight or alittle rounded out when she goes back. If you put just alittle kink in it like an inside v, that will help at impact and maintaining the distance between elbows on rotation.

What a cool place to hit. Nice set up

Straightleg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2013
For such a new hitter, Brooke has a very nice swing. Here are a couple of observations that may help her:

* Her current form is more "linear" than "rotational". When she lifts her front leg, she is actually striding forward, which disperses her power over a wider area. I also think she isn't getting the most out of her load due to this forward step. My advise would be for her to lift her leg straight up, so can feel her weight transfer from a neutral position to over her back leg and foot. When her front foot hits the ground and her hips begin to rotate, she will enjoy more power because of this more effective load.

* Another negative from her forward stride is she will have difficulty finishing on her front side. At the end of her swing, she is leaning back and the majority of her weight is on her back side. If she loads like I am suggesting, it will be easier for her to finish her swing on her front side, which is indicitive of full hip and shoulder rotation.

The key for Brooke at 11 and a relatively new hitter is to keep it simple. She is already ahead of most hitters her age. Good luck!

Last edited:
R

RayR

OK - so your advice as a solution for the hand dropping is to lift her front leg?

For such a new hitter, Brooke has a very nice swing. Here are a couple of observations that may help her:

* Her current form is more "linear" than "rotational". When she lifts her front leg, she is actually striding forward, which disperses her power over a wider area. I also think she isn't getting the most out of her load due to this forward step. My advise would be for her to lift her leg straight up, so can feel her weight transfer from a neutral position to over her back leg and foot. When her front foot hits the ground and her hips begin to rotate, she will enjoy more power because of this more effective load.

* Another negative from her forward stride is she will have difficulty finishing on her front side. At the end of her swing, she is leaning back and the majority of her weight is on her back side. If she loads like I am suggesting, it will be easier for her to finish her swing on her front side, which is indicitive of full hip and shoulder rotation.

The key for Brooke at 11 and a relatively new hitter is to keep it simple. She is already ahead of most hitters her age. Good luck!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
OK - so your advice as a solution for the hand dropping is to lift her front leg?

I see a late use of the hands.

2qbdic3.gif

More a pull along the length of the barrel, that could be improved with something like this …..

rtzsrs.gif

Working on turning the barrel, with the 'feel' of pressure in the hands having the barrel turned perpendicular to the rear forearm as a first 2-frame thought.

Working on extensor action can help.

It can be a bit of a struggle for someone with a high hand set … so experimenting with different hand sets can help.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I said that your daughter's swing is exceptional, and that you should ignore people who are using things like "elbow ahead of hands." The elbow gets ahead of the hands in MANY high level swings, so it's a worthless checkpoint. The swing is not a series of positions. It's a series of movements.

I agree, the 'positions' should be 'result' of one's movements. In this particular case it was a late use of a movement pattern that led me to believe that the 'position' downstream would have the elbow ahead of the hands ... the 'position' was simply a 'result'.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS

Per the 1st bolded statement, We spend a lot of time trying to get hitters to be this direct in the movements. It takes a while to dig in and break away the all back all forward teachings of instructors(if you are one?) like yourself.
This girls lower half says "LET'S GO, NOW!!!!!" It's great!!!

Per the 2nd bolded statement, Awe to hell with it, I think your just jacking around to fill your blog.

Post in a new thread called "Petricca413's hitting 101" all your beliefs and see what happens. Heck, maybe we will all learn something from it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd