Breakdown of costs for team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I would hope an org would have a good way of determining whether aid is needed. For example if a kid qualifies for free lunch at school, etc e.g. things whereby parents have to show financials.

I get that you are not a fan of "welfare programs" so this argument isn't going to go anywhere.. ;)
!!!Exactly !!! How to determine!!!

Even welfare has limits.
And welfare does a huge background check befor they hand out a 'check'.

In this team situation
What if everyone was asked first
"Hey everyone i know 'Kelsy the smasher' she hits home runs every game. If i tell her parents no dues she will come play for us! How about we pick her up to help our team?
Maybe we could do a fundraisor and get this other pitcher i know who's an ace?
No due's they will come on board!

Whats the reason again for non-disclosing where money is going???

Jun 8, 2016
In this team situation
What if everyone was asked first
"Hey everyone i know 'Kelsy the smasher' she hits home runs every game. If i tell her parents no dues she will come play for us! How about we pick her up to help our team?
Maybe we could do a fundraisor and get this other pitcher i know who's an ace?
No due's they will come on board!

Whats the reason again for non-disclosing where money is going???
Yeah Kelsy is a smasher but also doesn't have the newest trendy jeans or the newest Iphone and Kelsy knows this and because she is a teenager is self-conscious about it and now all the other teenage girls on the team, along with their parents, know this. No thanks.

Somebodies financial situation is nobodies business but the HC/Org head. Everybody agreed to pay whatever they pay when they signed up.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Who is the arbitrator that decides if they cant afford the dues? What if I gave up my cable TV so my DD could play but the player you "scholarshipped" still has their cable TV. What if the scholarshipped players family earn more money than some of the other families on the team.
At some point we would have to have every family disclose the income and have a sliding scale for dues.
If you are going to bring on a new player that is not going to pay dues i think it is everybody's right to know.
Again, it's not YOUR business who gets help unless you are the coach or the family needing some. I am sure the parents are already pretty embarrased. I have had to work with parents over the years to make it work. I have given 50% off. I have bartered goods and services for the team for a discount as well. I used 35K of my personal SW Rapid Rewards points to get a girl to a tournament, otherwise she would not get to go. I did not go around telling the team her family's financial situation. DD played very well known organizations that ran a tight ship so I never felt the need to dig into the financials. If your DD is playing for the Hittin' Kittens with a shady coach, then I might have the need to look behind the curtain.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yeah Kelsy is a smasher but also doesn't have the newest trendy jeans or the newest Iphone and Kelsy knows this and because she is a teenager is self-conscious about it and now all the other teenage girls on the team, along with their parents, know this. No thanks.

Somebodies financial situation is nobodies business but the HC/Org head. Everybody agreed to pay whatever they pay when they signed up.
Are they agreeing to pay for anything?
...the coaches car transmission went out?

Rarely does a coach have all the costs for tournaments for the year.
However they can itemize what the monthly Outlook cost will. Make an itemized costs for things.

There are far more common sense reasons to share the teams accountings of the schedule..I did not bring up the pay for a player under the rug scenario. Simply commenting that I think it's everybody's money and I don't think it's okay for money to be spent that is unaccounted for.
This simply is a really good principle.

If you feel as though you want to create loopholes where money can just disappear and no one needs to be accountable for it ...
then you can slide down that slippery slope if you like.
Have fun landing in the sand pit!

will add this over the years hearing of players who have then offered assistance via team funds often times this gets leaked out other families hear about it some families are okay with it but also there are families who are upset by it. Then there are families who start picking it apart.
because they know their family is going through multiple strides and even having extra part time jobs aside from their full-time jobs doing everything they can to scrape together a little bit of money for their daughters to play.
Secrets are not good.
Favoritism causes problems.
And
Good people are usually good at being good to otheres.
If people are good people,
Why keep a secret from them.

This opens another can of worms.
Young teams founding showcasing teams.
Now theres that~

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2016
Are they agreeing to pay for anything?
...the coaches car transmition went out?
I agree that parents should know (if they so choose) where their agreed upon amount of money goes. However in this case the only thing that needs to be listed would "scholarship funds". If I was the org head and/or HC and somebody asked who was getting the scholarship I would politely tell them that those things are not disclosed.

Oct 4, 2018
If a family can't afford the dues, I really don't think that is the rest of the team's business.

It is if my money is paying for that kid. Which I may or may not agree on doing, I'm not sure.

But if that kid is being covered by an outside party, all they have to do is have the dues paid for that family appear exactly like the dues paid for a family that made all payments and made them on time. Then the financials can be shared and the private info stays private.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2018
All this being said, if my DD was a top line pitcher I would never pay dues. LOL

I joked about that with my DD. For some odd reason, there are simply not enough (by far) pitchers for 2009 teams. My daughter is in high demand (as are a half dozen other pitchers) from the top teams. I'll admit it's flattering. My mind did go the "well, who will pay the most to get her" route. But nah, we are on the team she loves and we pay what everyone else pays.

But it made me realize that there sure could be people getting free rides just to join certain teams. Anyone know of that happening? Based just on talent? Well, other than college that is. :D

Jun 8, 2016
But it made me realize that there sure could be people getting free rides just to join certain teams. Anyone know of that happening? Based just on talent? Well, other than college that is. :D
It certainly happens at the highest of levels of AAU basketball..wouldn't be surprised if it happens in softball as well.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
But what if the scholarshipped player parent drive up in their $160,000 2020 Bendz? (I know it is just a lease)LOL
I joked about that with my DD. For some odd reason, there are simply not enough (by far) pitchers for 2009 teams. My daughter is in high demand (as are a half dozen other pitchers) from the top teams. I'll admit it's flattering. My mind did go the "well, who will pay the most to get her" route. But nah, we are on the team she loves and we pay what everyone else pays.

Of course it is happening. Under the guise of scholarship.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi