Breakdown of costs for team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I look at it this way. I am responsible for the dues. The program is responsible for fields, tournament fees, uniforms, umpire fees, payments and reimbursements for paid coaches, equipment, etc. If these things are not being handled, then I would ask for an accounting. I know that we have scholarshiped some players over the years, but that is no one's business but the coach and the family.
The main reason i disagree with this is because many people have
NO IDEA AT ALL of the cost of things.
( or think they know, or know partially)
And
Not everyone is good at handling finances let alone others finances.
And
May have low ability/knowledge at structuring an in advance schedule, simply because of lack of experience in travel ball.

Money is part of an enormous commitment. Recognizing costs of things in say 12u can help open eyes what the next 6 years may cost!!! Plus these costs go up. Need to know to plan!!

imo what people are spending money on and seeing where it is going can give/show a better relevancy of financial commitment.

A. Paying advance for tournaments is a big one.

B. Over paying for uniforms a big one.

C. Those couple/few hundred per month that disapear with no receipt is a big one.

D. AND when the orgs 'president' takes a skim off every players dues every month and isnt involved as a coach. Is another BIG one.
( in one big org this is almost never disclosed!!! not team due's, rather a skim)

Simply saying,
know what your schedule is going to be because its usually the families who are affording it.
Dont find out later the people/person who is handling your money is basically well...
Bad at it.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020
The main reason i disagree with this is because many people have
NO IDEA AT ALL of the cost of things.
( or think they know, or know partially)
And
Not everyone is good at handling finances let alone others finances.
And
May have low ability/knowledge at structuring an in advance schedule, simply because of lack of experience in travel ball.

Money is part of an enormous commitment. Recognizing costs of things in say 12u can help open eyes what the next 6 years may cost!!! Plus these costs go up. Need to know to plan!!

imo what people are spending money on and seeing where it is going can give/show a better relevancy of financial commitment.

A. Paying advance for tournaments is a big one.

B. Over paying for uniforms a big one.

C. Those couple/few hundred per month that disapear with no receipt is a big one.

D. AND when the orgs 'president' takes a skim off every players dues every month and isnt involved as a coach. Is another BIG one.
( in one big org this is almost never disclosed!!! not team due's, rather a skim)

Simply saying,
know what your schedule is going to be because its usually the families who are affording it.
Dont find out later the people/person who is handling your money is basically well...
Bad at it.
Ditto this and also the team deserves financial transparency. It’s ok if the coaches or staff are paid something just as long as everyone knows in advance. It’s ok to give scholarships and not know exactly who the scholarship kid is, but I would like to know how much of our total funds go to scholarships. I’ve seen many sports programs where the money has been mishandled. It’s foolish to think it would never happen. It should always be ok to ask where the money is going or how it is used.

Apr 28, 2014
Normally I'm a total trust guy and with our Org I trust and don't want or need to see a ledger. But with so many teams just popping up it may be needed. Especially for newer teams that don't have a track record or experience managing a team.
As far as free tuition goes, that's really none of your business. When you get your offer you are told what your fees will be. If you want to pay less then ask. If not pay and don't worry about what others pay.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
If a family can't afford the dues, I really don't think that is the rest of the team's business.
Well imo this is a seperate issue.

Frankly i find that often times peoples own financial decisions create their own pitfalls.
We cant afford that while everyone in the family has this years i-phone, plus that new denali in the driveway is very different than...
We need food.

Not suggesting people scam situations, just suggesting sometimes people get scammed. :)

If people need help, but are to proud to raise there hand...,
there in lies an issue in itself.
Good people are generally good at helping others.
Secrets seem to be problematic.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If a family can't afford the dues, I really don't think that is the rest of the team's business.
Who is the arbitrator that decides if they cant afford the dues? What if I gave up my cable TV so my DD could play but the player you "scholarshipped" still has their cable TV. What if the scholarshipped players family earn more money than some of the other families on the team.
At some point we would have to have every family disclose the income and have a sliding scale for dues.
If you are going to bring on a new player that is not going to pay dues i think it is everybody's right to know.

Jun 8, 2016
Not suggesting people scam situations, just suggesting sometimes people get scammed. :)
Sure but what does that have to do with other people on the team knowing who is getting help? Are you suggesting people play keystone cop/Magnum PI and try to figure out whether or not the people getting help really need it?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Sure but what does that have to do with other people on the team knowing who is getting help? Are you suggesting people play keystone cop/Magnum PI and try to figure out whether or not the people getting help really need it?

Who is the arbitrator that decides if they cant afford the dues? What if I gave up my cable TV so my DD could play but the player you "scholarshipped" still has their cable TV. What if the scholarshipped players family earn more money than some of the other families on the team.
At some point we would have to have every family disclose the income and have a sliding scale for dues.
If you are going to bring on a new player that is not going to pay dues i think it is everybody's right to know.

Money is Money is Money
Donations or otherwise!

Jun 8, 2016
I would hope an org would have a good way of determining whether aid is needed. For example if a kid qualifies for free lunch at school, etc e.g. things whereby parents have to show financials.

I get that you are not a fan of "welfare programs" so this argument isn't going to go anywhere.. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi