Breakdown of costs for team

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
literally i do not know any teams that the organization follows or knows about individual team finances.
Zero connection to how individual teams finances are handled.

(How did i turn on bold print lol...)
Stop yelling at me!! Lol...In Marcela's org the scholarship requests go through the org, not the team but the scholarship is just for the org fees..doesn't apply to tournament costs, uniforms etc. So in reality it probably only covers 1/3 to 1/6 of the total costs (depending on the individual team situation).

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
It gets weird fast, though.

If I'm paying thousands of dollars (which I am) and $500 of it is for "scholarship funds" then my brain goes right to "so who's getting my $500?". And then I'm thinking "is she worth it? She made 6 errors last weekend." Or we think "that family doesn't need our money, they have a better house than we do." Or people starting wondering if the coaches are just pocketing that money.

Parents will be talking non-stop, people will be bitching and moaning. I really don't see it working out at all. And I'm one of the ones that would be most cool about it. I know most parents I encounter would not.
This is only one of the reasons that this be kept confidential.

The last team my DD was on, we paid $900 for the fall and $900 for the summer. $450 in Sept and $450 November. $900 in May. I had a pretty good idea of which families struggled with the travel, hotels, dues etc. This sport gets very pricey as you age up and play more a more competitive schedule with travel. If you left for whatever reason, the money stays with the team. This team had been around for a very long time, so they had excess funds year to year. As a parent, are you asking for a refund if all of the funds where not used? I sure hope not. We always knew what the schedule was since the tournaments were paid well in advance, sometimes a year. You need to have the funds to do this or it's coming out of someone's pocket.

Apr 28, 2014
A pitcher can impact the game unlike any other player. if you have a team that is competitive a strong #1 can help that team win more and thus play more games over the course of a season. On bracket day a strong pitcher can help add 2, 3 or 4 games to the schedule if used correctly. Some coaches see that and are willing to wave fees to give the team the added games that comes along with it. They view it as a win, win for the parents who want to see their kid play more innings. More games = More Innings. If a pitcher's parents are struggling most teams would help that kid to ensure that they can play.

Oct 4, 2018
The ones bitching and moaning can leave then.

I am not sure where you stand on various government entitlement programs (nor do I want to know..lol) but in any case, do you ask the government to see exactly what families benefitted from your tax dollars?

I doubt most private teams have scholarships, most programs like this would be from larger orgs and the scholarship funds would be a pool of money from many teams in the org. If you don't want your money going to somebody else, unlike taxes (lol) you have a choice to not join said team/org..right? If you decide to join then you know that some of your money will be used to help some kid who is (hopefully and unfortunately..) less fortunate than your kid. If the idea bothers you then make sure that is one of the questions which you ask before joining the team...

IMO if we want the game to draw the best athletes it can, these programs are important. I see a lot of 6' point guards at P5 schools who could have been great SS/CF's....

I certainly can get behind the idea within a large org, and if I know ahead of time and the dollar amount isn't a large slice of the pie, I'm all for benefitting those less fortunate (with the assumption that the money is used wisely and fairly).

I don't like the idea for one individual team. It will create too much drama and gossip and that will destroy the team. I've seen many teams crumble for far, far less.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
To the original post~

Upfront allocation of funds
would be a good thing.

A resource like contibuting to helping fund others would be appropriate to list.
"Schloraship fund" or otherwise.

Balance the checkbook should be goal.
Mystery Money not good.

Oct 4, 2018
This is only one of the reasons that this be kept confidential.

The last team my DD was on, we paid $900 for the fall and $900 for the summer. $450 in Sept and $450 November. $900 in May. I had a pretty good idea of which families struggled with the travel, hotels, dues etc. This sport gets very pricey as you age up and play more a more competitive schedule with travel. If you left for whatever reason, the money stays with the team. This team had been around for a very long time, so they had excess funds year to year. As a parent, are you asking for a refund if all of the funds where not used? I sure hope not. We always knew what the schedule was since the tournaments were paid well in advance, sometimes a year. You need to have the funds to do this or it's coming out of someone's pocket.

But the second a parent sees that they're paying for someone else, the damage is done. The gossip and drama will start.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
A pitcher can impact the game unlike any other player. if you have a team that is competitive a strong #1 can help that team win more and thus play more games over the course of a season. On bracket day a strong pitcher can help add 2, 3 or 4 games to the schedule if used correctly. Some coaches see that and are willing to wave fees to give the team the added games that comes along with it. They view it as a win, win for the parents who want to see their kid play more innings. More games = More Innings. If a pitcher's parents are struggling most teams would help that kid to ensure that they can play.
Hmmm interesting concept.
What if after a tournament players contributions toward winning are reviewed and awarded a discount on the next monthly dues.

$50 dollars off per walk off home run or winning rbi's ?!

How about defensive game saving moments? How much discount? :)

Jun 8, 2016
Hmmm interesting concept.
What if after a tournament players contributions toward winning are reviewed and awarded a discount on the next monthly dues.
JCOlSde.gif

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802