Blue says I cant coach from the dugout

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 14, 2011
We play in a fastpitch league governed by ASA rules with a few local rules for the different age divisions.

Today, I had an umpire tell me I could not coach from the dugout. I believe she was stating I could reposition players or holler out to them to make sure they understood where the next play should go.

When I pressed the umpire for clarification she said it was a rule. Well it wasnt one of our local rules. And when I insisted she clarify, she got huffy and said it fell under the coaches conduct rule....where game ejection is an option.

I have coached travel ball for over 10 years and never encountered such a thing.

Can any of the umpires out there please help with clarification on this point....if it is a rule then I want it enforced across the league.

Jun 22, 2008
Have no idea what the umpire could be talking about. Thats what the coach is there for, to coach the team. Coach cant be in the stands, but they can certainly coach on the field and in the dugouts.

Jul 26, 2010
Doesn't make sense, unless the coach was distracting the kids with a bunch of technobabble that should have been taught in practice and making them pay attention to the coach rather then the game. . . which can be dangerous when balls are headed their way.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I saw a coach position himself outside the dugout, near the catcher, on Sat. and yell at the catcher on every pitch.

I wish someone would have told him he couldn't coach from there.

Tell us what was going on Rodzski.

Mar 14, 2011
I have done some checking with others in the back channel....
Turns out the Blue did not like the way (loud) I was coaching......for some reason in her mind, Rec ball didnt need this type of coaching.
Then again I am betting she never has coached a 10-year old......telling them once just wont cut it.

I just wanted to make sure I am on solid ground before our next encounter and possible appeal to the league.

The closest thing I could find in the rule book is Rule 5 section 12 that states the coach cannot be on the field and must remain in the dugout. Now we all know "the dugout" area sometimes extends to the area around the dugout.....depending on what the blue will allow. So for now (if necessary) I have Rule 5 on my side and she will need to adjust.....I couldnt find any rule regarding coaches conduct.

Does anybody else know of such a rule?

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
I expect that you're just venting your frustrations here like many of us, but if you're not.......Ooooooh noooooooooooooooo. I'm not saying that blue is right on this one (as you note, she is very wrong), but..... blue always gets the last word in during a game so just make sure your assistant coach knows in advance how you want them to manage the rest of the game "in case" (more likely "when") blue runs you during your next encounter. Better to try to clarify and diffuse the situation before the game then to make a stand during it. You may win the war when you appeal the ejection to the board, but you'll lose the battle w/ blue for the game even though your're right!

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I would bring the issue to the board. When ever I've had confusion about calls or what is a rule/isn't due to inconsistent calls, I talked to the board.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I've worked with some pretty vocal coaches. I have coached against some that bordered on mania. Never saw an ump telling one to cool it, Just how loud are we talking here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207