Blame game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I would argue that softball (and baseball) is not actually a team game and that one player could indeed lose you a game. I do agree that I would never call someone out on having a bad game. I would be more concerned with what I could have done (or do) to make that player more successful the next time they are in that situation.

Of course this is true, every player has suffered thru the experience. As a competitor
they know the mistake, they NEVER need to be reminded. Softball is a faster game
than BB, I never compare them

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Of course this is true, every player has suffered thru the experience. As a competitor
they know the mistake, they NEVER need to be reminded. Softball is a faster game
than BB, I never compare them

This is what drives me nuts, these players don't go onto the field to purposley make mistakes, they know when they do.

Feb 7, 2013
I would argue that softball (and baseball) is not actually a team game and that one player could indeed lose you a game. I do agree that I would never call someone out on having a bad game. I would be more concerned with what I could have done (or do) to make that player more successful the next time they are in that situation.

Huh? Do you consider football a team sport, because one player could win or lose the game in that sport too (e.g. Safety intercepts pass and runs it back for a touchdown; kicker kicks 50 yard field goal to win game, etc).

Having coached softball and baseball for the past several years, it sure feels like a team sport to me.

May 17, 2012
Huh? Do you consider football a team sport, because one player could win or lose the game in that sport too (e.g. Safety intercepts pass and runs it back for a touchdown; kicker kicks 50 yard field goal to win game, etc).

Having coached softball and baseball for the past several years, it sure feels like a team sport to me.

Surely you have heard the phrase, "baseball is an individual sport masquerading as a team sport."

Unlike hockey, football or basketball where the whole team is in constant motion on offense and defense baseball is about taking your turn as an individual (pitch the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball).

Perhaps this discussion should have it's own thread. ;)

Feb 7, 2013
Surely you have heard the phrase, "baseball is an individual sport masquerading as a team sport."

Unlike hockey, football or basketball where the whole team is in constant motion on offense and defense baseball is about taking your turn as an individual (pitch the ball, hit the ball, catch the ball).

Perhaps this discussion should have it's own thread. ;)

I have heard that quote but don't really agree with it. Singles tennis and boxing are individual sports, IMO softball is not, there is too much interaction and team work involved in the sport to not call it a team sport. But even if we called it an individual sport, no one player really wins or loses the game for his or her team because every single player had an opportunity to contribute to the success or failure of the game.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have heard that quote but don't really agree with it. Singles tennis and boxing are individual sports, IMO softball is not, there is too much interaction and team work involved in the sport to not call it a team sport. But even if we called it an individual sport, no one player really wins or loses the game for his or her team because every single player had an opportunity to contribute to the success or failure of the game.

Thats why you just blame it on the Umpires hahahaha

Just going to have to agree to disagree if you got an extra base hit every time up, never missed a sign, took every base you could, did not make an error or bobble in the field then you can go ahead and think it was not your fault the other eleven players on the team all had a part in the loss and isn't it always the pitchers fault because they did not pitch a perfect game!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie