Better Competition

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
I am trying to follow what you are saying (really I am) and relating it back to the conversation and what I was trying to say so .....yes if you look at a tournament and would feel elated if you could keep from getting run-ruled every game you probably shouldn't play that either..Is that what you are talking about when you are saying "play to win" in regards to setting the schedule (eg the topic we are talking about..)??

It may just be me, but there have been some tournaments DD has played in where winning the whole thing was more of a relief than anything else...Understand?
i do understand, like that you are adding definition to this discussion
Then brings up the discussion of what the happy medium is of the outcome of games win/loss.
What you are describing is the type of events to put the team in where there is a happy medium of competition win loss.

Everyone can come up with what they would look for at the years end of a win-loss record. imo should include there will be losses in the books because the team should be playing competitive games. It is good to have challenge.

Jun 8, 2016
Everyone can come up with what they would look for at the years end of a win-loss record.
The reason I mentioned what I did is because trying to handicap tournament choices to match a desired winning percentage is probably kind of difficult. That said I would say somewhere around winning 2 out of every 3 games would be a good goal to have. The question is how much are you will to do in order to make that happen. Like I said previously, a lot of times the answer (or partial answer) can be playing up an age level locally in order to keep travel somewhat reasonable..The sweet spot for doing that is probably 14's. Any younger and ball size/pitching distance changes and any older means not usually much of a difference in skill level between 16's and 18's for it to make that much of a difference.

DD's (second year 14U) team is 64-21-1 this spring/summer and I think that is bordering on a bit too high in terms of winning percentage (along with too many games tbh) They played a few too many local tournaments (granted they were 16U tournaments ) at the beginning of the year in my opinion (remember..school ball is in Fall here). Two, maybe three to get ready for the bigger National tournaments would have sufficed.

Last edited:
May 13, 2021
People players are motivated by different things.

What I notice is you didn't connect with comments about statistics.
Directly relates to what you are saying regarding striking everyone out all the time generally should not happen. Basically that there is a way to make a determination about performance and the time frame to move to better competition.

It should be said that if pitchers/players are moved to better competition and they are not mentally/ physically ready to step up to that challenge it can have a negative effect. Example Their performance can dramatically start lacking and be moved lower down the totem pole.
➡️Because productivity comes from Individual training to prepare for games. Players can either be motivated or become discouraged / lose interest

(imo would not use the word 'forced' because it is not a jail sentence.
People play sports for different reasons.)
They will do it or won’t be able to play. You can use what ever term you want. I chose to use the word forced.

Jan 1, 2023
Statistics help in gauging performance.

While strikeouts/walks is one portion of that. There is also the slugging percentage of the opposing team.

What is her strikeout to walk ratio and what is your perspective of the opposing competition slugging percentage?
She moved to this team during the winter, so played PGF 12-U or 13-U “A” locally. Had a nagging injury, so sample size not as big as it could be, but big enough.

But they are going to travel more this upcoming season, play more PGF.

Strikeouts to walks was 2.9x. Slugging percentage against was .220. Strikeouts were down vs last year, as we’re walks. Ratio improved 0.1x, so about the same. Her team defense was much better and the number of errors much less.

Her record was 11-2. Two losses were 2-0 to 12-U USSSA Eastern National champs, and 2-1 to USSSA Midwest nation camps (and that team 3rd place in that big PGF Tennessee tourney).

I think she threw mostly FB or change, so nothing fancy. Ball has some natural movement, so had a higher K per inning for 14-u. Threw a lot of curves last year, not many this year.

No idea if pitching against the better competition helped this year. She threw faster and had better defense. Had periods were her mechanics got wonky, but didn’t impact her performance.

But did she learn anything player better competition? She gave up 1 HR this year. It was on a 3-2 high FB. Next time she faces the girl, gets 0-2 on the girl with two change-ups then throws same pitch she gave the HR on. Strikes her out, but it was almost same location as the HR. Seems more like a mistake that she didn’t learn from.

Nov 9, 2021
Then brings up the discussion of what the happy medium is of the outcome of games win/loss.
Like .500 W/ .500 L

I would want to be a little over .500 win percentage. I don’t care about the wins as much as I care about the reps. If your team isn’t winning games you are getting less reps then the better teams every weekend. You also don’t learn much if your team is getting killed. Need to be able to win some Sunday games to make it worth it. If you know you lose the first game on Sunday every time I would mix in more weaker tourneys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 1, 2023
If playing better competition at first year 14's just meant playing different tournaments in your area that is one thing...easy choice. If it means playing multiple tournaments 8-10 hours away in the Fall that is a different story. There is a happy medium in there that should be good enough for everybody except the guy who need his kid to be ranked #1 in the EIS rankings for 7th graders..For example they could play some local 16U tournaments in the Fall if they want to be challenged more..

Yes, our team ran through the first year 14-u local “A” teams this year. There will be only 2 other good 1st year 14-u teams in a wide area. The the one is very good, a little better than us.

I’m note sure teams playing local 16-u will be that good. The good teams will likely travel, and many good players will play 18-u.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, our team ran through the first year 14-u local “A” teams this year. There will be only 2 other good 1st year 14-u teams in a wide area. The the one is very good, a little better than us.

I’m note sure teams playing local 16-u will be that good. The good teams will likely travel, and many good players will play 18-u.
Well in the case of super teams like you guys I guess you are screwed.

Oct 4, 2018
What I've witnessed as we moved to real A ball and facing the best teams in the country is this:

DD pitches really well, but does give up a bomb or a noticeably hard hit. I ask her after, and she says "I hit my spot, but she just hit it." I can verify that, as I follow the pitch calls and sit close to home plate.

This is just part of the game, and pitchers need to know it. Sometimes the hitter wins. Sometimes they see the ball perfectly. Sometimes they guess right. Sometimes you give them their favorite pitch in their favorite spot. Pitching against the best competition will create new lessons to learn on their pitching journey.

Playing down, against lesser competition, is amazing for confidence and is great as they develop. And you get the facebook moments. Perfect games, tons of Ks, etc. But it's not "fun", it's not as "real", and yes, the pitcher can tend to get lazy on location and spin.

Oct 4, 2018

What general region/state are you in?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207