Best way to teach throwing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
New England
I'm the captain of my high school's varsity team (and a long-time tournament player, plus signed to play ball in college), and we're starting winter captain's practices. I want to work on throwing mechanics to prevent injuries during the season. Throwing is one of those things that I know how to do, but I can't really explain the mechanics well to others.

Does anyone have any good resources or know how to explain the proper throwing mechanics? Keep in mind that most of these players have no travel ball experience (they only play during the high school season), and those that do play for lower level travel teams. I've been reading through the threads about throwing for my own benefit, but I'd still like some advice on how to teach basic mechanics to my team.

Thanks!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Explain grip to them. Most will not know a 4 seam grip and to shift the ball, as they bring it back, in order to grip some seams. Explain rotation to them and that the middle finger pulls off of the seam last. Show them the gap that needs to exist between the ball and the palm of your hand and tell them to keep the ball out in their fingers.

Jun 7, 2013
I'd like to ask a throwing question and I hope that it is permissible on this thread. Does a fastpitch softball
shortstop really have time, on a close play at first, to adjust the grip before throwing?

Oct 10, 2011
I'd like to ask a throwing question and I hope that it is permissible on this thread. Does a fastpitch softball
shortstop really have time, on a close play at first, to adjust the grip before throwing?
Absolutely. My DD argued about this about a year ago...she's at 3rd now but now it "just happens" like second nature.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yes. You don't need to see the ball. I didn't even know until recently that I do this. But, I was talking a girl through throwing and as I brought the ball and my RH back to my ear, I was rotating the ball to get ahold of a seam (any seam.)