Best utility glove - size, brand & model?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2011
12U DD needs a new fielder's glove - she's currently using her older brother's old 11.75" Rawlings Gold Glove, which she loves, but it's floppy and the crusty finger stalls are huge due to bro's sausage fingers. I think it's time to consider an upgrade.

Her primary position is catcher, but she's also getting PT at 2B and OF. Would it be better to get a 12" or 12.5" glove? Also, any recommendations for brands and models are welcome. I really don't want to spend more than $100 and want a full leather glove, no mesh/"superskin." Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

Jun 24, 2013
12U DD has this in a 12.5: Gloves

Last year they had a sale about now were they were under $100.

I would say 12.5” since she catches, DD doesn’t catch so not positive.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Does she have a catcher's mitt? That is what she needs. In ASA, she could get by with using a 1st baseman's mitt at all positions.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If she can handle a 12" or 12.5" glove and you have the resources, I would recommend you step up and spend a little more money and get a Vinci or a Nokona. If she takes care of either one it will be the last glove you ever buy. If she decides to give up softball you can sell either on Ebay for @ $100+.

Jun 24, 2011
Oops, forgot to mention that she has a Wilson A1000 catcher's glove that's not going anywhere soon, she's using it very well!

I am leaning toward a 12", GG's suggestion is along the lines of what I was thinking. One problem I have with all of the brands mentioned above is no stores near me stock any of them, and feel is very important for DD. Have any of you bought gloves sight unseen?

Jun 24, 2013
Yes but if you have a Dick's Sporting goods store by you I think they have all the brands mentioned above.

Play it again sports you also might have some luck, it is hard to tell.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Yes but if you have a Dick's Sporting goods store by you I think they have all the brands mentioned above.

The one in my area (metro Los Angeles) has all of those brands, but not for softball. Softball gloves are limited to 2-3 models each from Mizuno, Wilson, and Rawlings, with nothing that I would qualify as a long-term glove. Everything is targeted at the entry-intermediate level market.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12