Best team type for college prep

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2011
My DD is a 2013. Solid ball player. She was on a travel team her freshman year and that year began emailing college coaches about her interest in playing ball.
This summer 2011 she was rostered on a higher level team, one that has good college connections. It is a showcase team, all the girls want to play college ball.
However, there are issues. A few players on the team use illegal bats, coach knows (everybody knows) but turns the other way. The coach is verbally abusive or at best, unsupportive if errors are made. This summer DD didn't get hardly any playing time. She asked the coach what she needed to do, did it, and still nothing. In July she had the 3rd best BA on team, albeit only 25% of the number of at bats as his starters, but she still sits. Most showcase teams in this area will play their rising seniors a lot to get them seen- this coach did not do that and even, in my opinion, screwed over one of his rising seniors this summer but sitting her when interested schools were around. Looking ahead towards next summer, I worry about what this coach will do with my kid.
We did attend many many camps and clinics with college coaches this summer on our own, so DD does a hood job staying active and marketing herself. Several D1 schools have let her know they are looking at her.
So... She is unhappy with playing time, attitude of coach. She wants to leave. Not quit, but move on to someplace where she can contribute and improve We, as her parents, feel like once in college then the situation is different. But now, we are paying money and lots of time to get her better and to be seen by college coaches.
Questions:
1. How bad is it to switch teams during high school? We hear that college coaches don't like it but then it seems yo be done all the time. How will this affect her recruiting potential?
2. Is it better to be on a really high profile team and sit, or a not so competitive team where she will get plenty of playing time ( this new team has a history of placing players in college programs, but it isn't as strong as her current team. Good but not tops. It does, however, play at what I would say are very good regional and national tourneys-the ones we want).
3. If we change teams, do we explain to college coaches, or just let it be?

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
We went through a very similar situation during this summer.

If your DD is sitting on the bench she is not being seen by college coaches. She needs to be on the highest level team where she gets time on the dirt.

Switch teams during HS; I assume that means the travel team is between seasons? If so, move. If not between seasons, if your DD isn't being physically or mentally abused I recommend staying for the rest of the season and move then.

The only time you need to explain a team change to a college coach is if you are asked about it. Just be sure to email the new schedule to all of them!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Yeah, the college coach is shuffling 100s of kids. He/she doesn't care. But, they do want you to be a starter and visible.

Jul 26, 2010
Most 18 gold clubs are having their tryouts this weekend, last weekend, and next weekend. I'd have her pick a few high level teams and go try out. No harm in it.

-W

Jan 24, 2011
Texas
So... She is unhappy with playing time, attitude of coach. She wants to leave.

I quoted your exact words above, that is the only part of your post to me that is important. If she is unahppy, no matter how much money you spend, you will not fix that, and this will likely cause her not to play her best anyway.

She sounds miserable. Time to find another team is what it sounds like to me. As parents, sometimes we hide behind the financial reasons as an excuse to have our DD's play where WE think it is best. The decision still has to lie with the players and we as parents have to decide if we can support that financially.

Good luck either way. Don't worry about switching teams unless asked, which they won't, because everyone on the planet knows that swtching teams is simply a part of softball.

Aug 14, 2011
Thanks for input

Thanks for the input. Of course she needs to move. She's unhappy. End of story. She is having a hard time with that- she feels like she's quitting.
Most tryouts in our area have come and gone. A few left.
Can anybody comment on team levels? Should she play less on top level team, or get lots of playing time on a not so competice team? She has an invite to a team with pretty good rep. Good coach. They play good tournaments but aren't in the top bracket at any of those tournaments. Some really good players are on the team and the other 1/2 are above average but not outstanding. DD would be one of the best. She would play all the time. Pro: you get better the more you play, right? Con: would being one of the best hurt her play level and/or diminish her rep or image on the eyes of a college coach?

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Thanks for the input. Of course she needs to move. She's unhappy. End of story. She is having a hard time with that- she feels like she's quitting.
Most tryouts in our area have come and gone. A few left.
Can anybody comment on team levels? Should she play less on top level team, or get lots of playing time on a not so competice team? She has an invite to a team with pretty good rep. Good coach. They play good tournaments but aren't in the top bracket at any of those tournaments. Some really good players are on the team and the other 1/2 are above average but not outstanding. DD would be one of the best. She would play all the time. Pro: you get better the more you play, right? Con: would being one of the best hurt her play level and/or diminish her rep or image on the eyes of a college coach?

Being in the right place at the right time can be important. At the tournaments the coaches she wants to see her and on the field when they are there watching. The crux of the issue is prior communication with the coaches she wants to see her, doing a good job of getting the coaches interested enough to come see her play. Being lucky and being on a team in the championship bracket and have a coach do the 'Oh yeah, I've heard from her'. Right after that big play or big hit is a pretty low percentage play. The college coaches I've spoken to go to those tournaments with a shopping list in hand. If your players is on the list the coach will find her regardless of the field she's playing on.

The more important question in my mind, which of these teams provide the best instruction for my player. I don't have any experience with high end, big name teams, so my regional experience may not apply. I see a lot of teams that are very successful but don't really teach the players much of anything. They are great recruiters, they get a ton of prospects and they pick the 12 best each year and go out and kick butt all season. I wouldn't call them great coaches, especially when from year to year the individual player improvement doesn't really show much. That's what I would be researching the heck out of if I were looking for a new place more my daughter to play.

My opinion of course.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Generally, you've got your priorities upside down. Your child may never play another game of softball after HS for reasons not even related to her skill level, so she (and you) should make the best of *now*. Find the best team where she can *PLAY* and have fun with it.

Should she play less on top level team, or get lots of playing time on a not so competent team?

She needs to be on best team where she *PLAYS*--something like 4 out of 5 games.

Pro: you get better the more you play, right?

Yes.

Con: would being one of the best hurt her play level and/or diminish her rep or image on the eyes of a college coach?

Short answer: No.

Longer answer:

There are "elite" players. These kids are recruited sight unseen because the college coaches have heard of them. There aren't very many. Your DD may be very good, but isn't an elite player. (My DD wasn't an elite player either, but she did quite well playing D1 ball.)

For everyone else, the recruiting process consists of Daddies/Mommies contacting college coaches, sending videos to them, inviting them to come watch your DD play, following up with those coaches, etc. In other words, it is a job hunt.

For the non-elite players, the coaches make up their own mind based upon what they see.

BISHOP:

The more important question in my mind, which of these teams provide the best instruction for my player.

Bishop, I disagree. At this particular child's age, she should be far beyond what she can learn from a team coach. She needs individualized instruction to improve her skills. She needs a Daddy hitting her thousands of ground balls. She needs hours in the batting cage. She won't get that from any team.

I see a lot of teams that are very successful but don't really teach the players much of anything. They are great recruiters, they get a ton of prospects and they pick the 12 best each year and go out and kick butt all season

Right...because those teams demand and expect that the player is working on her own time to get better.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
1. How bad is it to switch teams during high school? We hear that college coaches don't like it but then it seems yo be done all the time. How will this affect her recruiting potential?

The only coaches who don't like it are the from the teams being left by a good player. The college coaches don't really care who your DD plays for. It will not hurt her recruiting chances unless the new team does not attend any exposure type tournaments. The college coaches have a limited number of recruiting days allowed by the NCAA so they tend to hit the tournaments where they can look at multiple players at the same time.

2. Is it better to be on a really high profile team and sit, or a not so competitive team where she will get plenty of playing time ( this new team has a history of placing players in college programs, but it isn't as strong as her current team. Good but not tops. It does, however, play at what I would say are very good regional and national tourneys-the ones we want).

It seems like this new team does a good job at getting their players signed. If she can go there to play, be watched and be happy it sounds like a right fit.

3. If we change teams, do we explain to college coaches, or just let it be?

Honestly.. College coaches do not want to hear about team drama. They are interested in what a player can do on the field. I doubt you'll be asked why your DD left a program. It happens at ALL levels in softball to EVERY team out there. They know this. They have players leave their teams for various reasons.

You know what needs to be done for your daughter. Do not worry about the team she is leaving. Focus on the new team and doing everything she can to be the best player she can be. Her softball career will be over before she knows it. There is no reason for her to be miserable and worried about something she loves.

Aug 14, 2011
Update

Thanks to everyone for the words of advice. We went to a Gold team tryout that plays a competitive national schedule. She made the team. Within 2 days (and before she accepted the offer) she received an offer to play on another Gold team which plays an equally competitive schedule, but under a coach that is a wonderful insructor and that has invaluable college/softball connections. And the coach is impressed with her abilities and she will play lots. She accepted this second offer and is thrilled, confident and so excited for the game again.
Added bonus: spoke with a top D1 coach about my daughter and changing teams, and as you all said here- the college coaches do not care. Just the opposite- the college coach recommended my daughter play with these teams. So all is good.
Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck