Best option for 3rd pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
She should research a bit. Learn what the coaches of the teams she wants to pitch for in the future are looking for, and what their starting pitchers throw. Every coach has their own preference towards pitches.

Some like the rise because young (and old) batters have a hard time laying off the fast pitch. Others like the ground-ball inducing low-ball pitchers. Some hate the drop because they have catchers that can't handle it. Some coaches would prefer she learned a screw or a curve instead.

While it's important to have an end-game in mind, you know, that rose-tinted world where she's going to be a D1 pitcher for a PAC12 or SEC team where she's only going to need a great rise or drop, and a changeup, it's equally (or more so) important to see the steps and rungs along the way. She's never going to learn how to be a high level pitcher without playing high-level competition, which means getting playing time on a high-level team, which means impressing the coaches that select the players for those teams. So yes, what the 12u coach of the team she wants to play for matters, even if he or she is an armchair nutjob that wants the kid to throw a "useless" curve ball.

-W

Feb 17, 2014
Thanks for all of the great advice guys. I have talked to a couple of the 12u coaches in the area that have had good success as first year 12u teams and they both said their pitchers are very successful with the dropball. They like lots of ground ball outs.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Thanks for all of the great advice guys. I have talked to a couple of the 12u coaches in the area that have had good success as first year 12u teams and they both said their pitchers are very successful with the drop ball. They like lots of ground ball outs.

The likes and dislikes of the coaching staff is really meaningless. The question is what pitch can your daughter throw effectively that presents good movement and she can put into a tea cup? Unless of course the coaches would rather have a bad pitch they like over one that is truly effective. :)

Feb 17, 2014
I've watched the Amanda Scarborough videos on youtube about the various pitches. I think the drop will be the easiest to learn.

I *think* DD has unintentionally throw a drop here and there. I think it would be easy to do seeing how Scarborough says to throw it.

Her PC has mentioned the screwball as well since she is a bog strong kid with decent speed.

I think it is worth a shot to try them all and see how it goes.

Jun 7, 2013
I've watched the Amanda Scarborough videos on youtube about the various pitches. I think the drop will be the easiest to learn.

I *think* DD has unintentionally throw a drop here and there. I think it would be easy to do seeing how Scarborough says to throw it.

Her PC has mentioned the screwball as well since she is a bog strong kid with decent speed.

I think it is worth a shot to try them all and see how it goes.

I have heard that some pitchers have trouble throwing a drop ball. If we're talking peel drop--and we should be talking peel drop--I suspect that their mechanics are incorrect and should be improved.

The other advantage to the peel drop is that you can make it into a drop curve and a drop screw ball.

Oct 22, 2009
I have heard that some pitchers have trouble throwing a drop ball. If we're talking peel drop--and we should be talking peel drop--I suspect that their mechanics are incorrect and should be improved.

The other advantage to the peel drop is that you can make it into a drop curve and a drop screw ball.

My DD always struggled with the drop, after a couple of years we just dropped it from her arsenal. Her rise was her predominant pitch. In college her coach insisted she had a drop, she picked up the peel-over drop and threw it when necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dionrod67