Best fix for flaws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 14, 2014
My dd is bending over at the waist towards third as well as towards home on release. (Obviously poor front side resistance) The ball is facing home at twelve o'clock but she manages to straighten her arm out and have the ball facing second base by nine o'clock, releasing the ball out in front of her body. I'm assuming back to BM's IR drills for the arm circle? Thoughts on how to fix the arm circle and her leans? (She insists I not post a video so I tried to give a detailed description of what she does)

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is impossible to help without a video, DD would not like me to post a video here either. :)

Maybe try some stork drills. You can do a search but basically the fount foot is off the ground and does not come down until the ball is caught.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Another idea is you could post a video already in the forum or on YouTube that looks like your daughters issue, or search the forum and just read one of the many threads related to this topic.

The lean towards third is typically caused by a mental image of needing to clear space for her arm to clear her body. The lean forward is either a continuation of a push type delivery or a lack of front side resistance. In either case the solution is the same, get her pitching with good tall posture, let her make some contact with her side "brush interference" and teach her that she is hitting a wall when releasing and not letting her body continue after the ball.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Double check her front foot angle. See if it's at a 45 or is pointed right at the catcher.... Typically the major lean is a byproduct of over rotation of the torso combined with no resistance. The hips and torso will follow the angle of the front foot and leg. Get a correct angle and land toe first, then as JJ said, stay tall, brush, and firm up the front leg, torso, and upper arm as the ball is appropriately at 9:00.
Good luck , James

Feb 28, 2010
Like the other suggestions, the problem is not likely in the arm circle but rather a result of a problem with the legs- i.e. not using them. Try to have her stand sideways to you. Then have her tuck her tailbone under or tuck her butt under her forwards or thrust her hips forward under her, kinda hard to describe. Daughter says tuck tailbone forward and under. This should have her kind of in a sitting position with her back straight, head high, legs engaged and arms and shoulders relaxed. Then have her pitch from a half motion - let the ball swing back, take a small stride and then let the arm down to pitch while MAINTAINING THE TUCKED TAILBONE ALL THE WHILE. She should feel the need to firm up her front leg and get her back leg turned through. Think of it as pitching half-circles from a dorky squat position. Should activate her legs and keep her from bending.

IR a Pitching Dad

Sitting on a Bucket
Dec 4, 2014
regarding the bending of the waist at release....stand at the point where your DD plants her front foot and hold a pool noodle across the power line about shoulder height. The pool noodle will cue her to stay upright and balanced at release through finish.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA