Best defense for runners on the corners?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I'm just curious to what defense some of y'all are using to defend with runners on the corners. I know everyone has that special go to play. Here's the scenario: Last inning you're up by one. Offense has runners on the corners with one out. I know the text book plays but just wanna hear some creativeness.

Nov 29, 2009
If your pitcher is on and not walking hitters, walk the next batter and fill the bases. Now you have a force at home and there is no second guessing by anyone in the infield where the ball is going. It also gives you a good chance at a home to 1st double play.

Everyone has their "special" play. But they are just versions of trying to pick the runner off of 3rd. Throwing to 2nd to get the stealing runner or indifference. It's all in how a coach decides to handle the situation during the course of the game. Given the OP's stated situation the batter is being put on.

I've found with younger groups if you get too creative you end up out-coaching yourself.

Aug 20, 2013
If your pitcher is on and not walking hitters, walk the next batter and fill the bases. Now you have a force at home and there is no second guessing by anyone in the infield where the ball is going. It also gives you a good chance at a home to 1st double play.

So, the last inning up by one and you're going to put the winning run on 2nd for free?

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I'd like to hear some strategies for upper levels too, but mainly focusing on 10u 12u 14u.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Simple. Throw to second base. If the runner on 3rd tries to score, cut it and throw her out at the plate. If the runner on 3rd doesn't go, tag out the runner trying for second. Of course, it helps if you have a 60 mph catcher and shortstop that have worked together for years. Alternatively, conceed the stolen base and have the pitcher strike out the next two batters.

Seriously? Sorry to say that there's no magic bullet. Just keep practicing.

Jun 1, 2013
10u and 12u intentional passed ball, 3rd base will run and catcher and pitcher have the advantage knowing the ball is going high to the backstop. It will take a very disciplined or slow runner not to bite. 2 outs, runner on second.

14u, 2nd base cuts throw to 2nd and throws to third.

16u and up, have faith.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
I have a play where I intentionally have my 3rd baseman play up a little more to draw the runner off the base a little deeper then have my left fielder slide over and catch the intentional overthrow. It has worked with some success. I also have a play where I tuck my SS between my pitcher and 2nd and make the play on the first runner to break.. This also has been modestly successful. I think these work best in the lower levels because most are used to the straight throw to the bag and tend to get lost in the confusion when the ball goes elsewhere.

I've also been working with my catchers on faking the throw to 2nd and catching the runner off the bag at 3rd. I haven't actually called this in a game yet. I figure it will take an overly aggressive runner on 3rd and a fairly slow runner going to 2nd or I'll concede to the runner stealing 2nd.

Big Dave

Sitting on a bucket
Jan 11, 2013
Oregon
One that I like - and you must trust your pitcher and catcher - when the runner on 1B takes off to 2nd, have the catcher come flying out and throw the ball towards 2nd. Catcher throws the ball about shoulder height and the pitcher cuts it and turns to third ready to throw - many times the runner is caught taking a couple extra steps towards home before she realizes the pitcher cut the ball off. Have the pitcher throw to 3 or home depending on what the runner does. Catches them quite often!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06