Best defense for runners on the corners?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
One that I like - and you must trust your pitcher and catcher - when the runner on 1B takes off to 2nd, have the catcher come flying out and throw the ball towards 2nd. Catcher throws the ball about shoulder height and the pitcher cuts it and turns to third ready to throw - many times the runner is caught taking a couple extra steps towards home before she realizes the pitcher cut the ball off. Have the pitcher throw to 3 or home depending on what the runner does. Catches them quite often!

I actually seen a play very similar to that in an 18u gold game. It has to be a hard line drive throw to draw the eyes past to second base. I can't remember if it got the out or not but the SS turned toward the outfield like it had been overthrown.

Nov 29, 2009
So, the last inning up by one and you're going to put the winning run on 2nd for free?

There are a ton of variables that go into the decision. But why let the offense dictate the situation? Squeeze bunt, slow grounder to the right side, push bunt or hit away are just some of their options. Then add to the situation there must be a tag play made at home. Too many chances for mistakes to be made.

If you load the bases the play is very simple. Get the ball home for a force out at home. There is no checking runners or hesitation on the part of the infielders. No matter what the level this should be the easiest play to make.

Granted the offense can still do some of the above mentioned things but the chance for success is diminished.

ArkFastpitch

Dont' I know you?
Sep 20, 2013
There are a ton of variables that go into the decision. But why let the offense dictate the situation? Squeeze bunt, slow grounder to the right side, push bunt or hit away are just some of their options. Then add to the situation there must be a tag play made at home. Too many chances for mistakes to be made.

If you load the bases the play is very simple. Get the ball home for a force out at home. There is no checking runners or hesitation on the part of the infielders. No matter what the level this should be the easiest play to make.

Granted the offense can still do some of the above mentioned things but the chance for success is diminished.

There are most definitely a ton of variables that factor in to which scheme to run. Speed of the runners that are on, where the other team is in batting order, how well your pitcher is performing etc..

I mainly wanted to see some of the creative strategies other coaches are using. Ive been around this sport for a pretty good while and am always amazed how good coaches seem to always take the worst possible situation and make it look routine.

Jul 17, 2012
12U. 3rd baseman shadows the runner.... Catcher pops up throws to 3rd baseman standing right next to the baserunner. Chance for a sweep tag if she goes back... if she heads home....she'll never outrun the throw from 3b since she was standing right next to her.

Jul 17, 2012

Even the best 12U teams I have seen just conceed 2nd base in the dreaded 1st and 3rd situation...so in the given scenario.. I say why not. That is unless youre facing 6,7,8,or 9 in the lineup. I don't walk them... that's on my pitcher to reach back for a little extra and win the battle for a pair of Ks.

Jul 17, 2012
10u and 12u intentional passed ball, 3rd base will run and catcher and pitcher have the advantage knowing the ball is going high to the backstop. It will take a very disciplined or slow runner not to bite. 2 outs, runner on second.

Ummm.. bad idea in my mind. First off...there's no guarantee the ball takes a favorable bounce against a chain link backstop. Second.... if the guy in blue doesn't get out of the way...you're catcher no longer has a clean shot to the ball you're hoping bounces back to her.

Jun 1, 2013
Ummm.. bad idea in my mind. First off...there's no guarantee the ball takes a favorable bounce against a chain link backstop. Second.... if the guy in blue doesn't get out of the way...you're catcher no longer has a clean shot to the ball you're hoping bounces back to her.

He said creative.... most parks we play in use netting, ball dies and falls to the ground..... she has to peel around the ump. And if you look at it, it is less risky than throwing home to second (short cut) and then back to home to make a tag.

ConorMacleod

Practice Like You Play
Jul 30, 2012
I'll give you guys an A for creativity. But an F on effectiveness...and a check in the loss column. Intentional passed ball? Intentional overthrow of 3rd to left fielder? I'm guessing most of you don't trust your pitcher, or catcher. Of course it depends on age level, but I would never call for an intentional bad pitch or overthrow. Playing with fire there. I coach first year 12U. Let's face it, almost all the time the runner on first is getting 2nd base in this situation, unless you're willing to give up that run from third, which you won't do with a one run lead. I'd check the scorebook and see what the next batter has done this game. Weak hitter? Go for the K. Strong hitter? Intentional walk and have a force out at the plate. Now, if the tieing run scores and there's runners still on? Load the bases intentionally again, bring in your infield to cut down runner at the plate, and bring in outfield to a depth (on the dirt in 12U) where if they catch a fly ball or line drive, they can still throw out the runner from third tagging up. And then pray for extra innings.

Jul 17, 2012
He said creative.... most parks we play in use netting, ball dies and falls to the ground..... she has to peel around the ump. And if you look at it, it is less risky than throwing home to second (short cut) and then back to home to make a tag.
The catcher throwing the ball into the opposing team's dugout is also creative... Do you really intentionally have your pitcher whip the ball over the catcher's head? I'm being serious.

Jun 11, 2013
I really don't like the intentional passed ball. I would say more often than not the runner will be going from first and you'll wind up with a run plus another runner on 3rd. They will bunt on the next pitch and you will start the cycle again.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan