Best defense for runners on the corners?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
Simple. Throw to second base. If the runner on 3rd tries to score, cut it and throw her out at the plate. If the runner on 3rd doesn't go, tag out the runner trying for second. Of course, it helps if you have a 60 mph catcher and shortstop that have worked together for years. ...
Are you using just the SS or both MIFs? I like it where SS covers the bag and 2B moves inside to a cut position. If 2B sees the runner on 3rd go, she cuts the throw and goes after that runner. Most of the time, the runner on 3rd holds when they see 2B moving into the cut position, so the throw goes through to the SS. We got so many runners at 2nd that it seems like some runners from 1st ease up expecting the throw to be cut. I don't recall a runner ever scoring on it, maybe if there was a bad throw that got past the SS.

Jun 11, 2013
SoCal, I really like that concept. I assume you need to practice it quite a bit and/or have a very good 2nd baseman, but I like doing it. The worst play IMHO is the throw straight to SS who is not covering. I've seen 3 things happen. 1. R3 holds and now you have 2nd and 3rd. 2. Catcher fires into LF not you have R3 and a run in. 3. It works perfect and R3 still beats throw to home or it's a bad throw and you wind up with R3 Again. The one that drive me nuts is just letting a walk run to second. Unless it's the last inning and tied or 1 run, I always want to just fire and get her out. It's such an easy play and can often still get R3 to hold.