Best clueless spouse story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 15, 2016
Did they get any points?

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

LOL. My wife said to me after last weekend that she knows what happens if there are bases loaded and the batter hits a home run, beyond that everything is a blur.

May 15, 2016
DD1 hit a high pop up to short center that fell in because of lousy defense. She gets angry with herself whenever she hits high pop ups. With DD1 standing at first, my wife and I along the first base line, my wife starts cheering madly, calling out DD1's name. I told her to stop, that DD1 is very unhappy with that "hit". My wife looked at me funny. I just told her to stop. There was not point in trying to explain.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
Despite my DW's complete lack of any personal experience with sports, she has done a remarkably good job learning about the game. I have no doubt that this fact has significantly reduced the amount of arguments we have.

Maybe not on actual scoring questions but my wife has gotten much better also. It is driving her nuts when somebody says "Great hit" or something along those lines on a 180' fly ball. She is as frustrated as I am when DD pops up but understands that if she is out on a smoked line drive it isn't that bad.

Jun 11, 2013
Had a Mom who gave an error on any ball she felt could have possibly been caught. One game comes up to me in the second inning and says we have 7 error already. I said I only remember one and she proceeded to show me that the ball the the CF dove for and hit off the end of her glove was indeed a 3 base error and the grounders that the runners beat the throw were errors because fielder didn't throw hard enough. The kicker was the one that the fielder took the first step in on and bounced off the fence was judged wrong.

I do have a bad one were DD was playing 12 U and got hit in the back of the neck on a pitch. I texted her that info as a courtesy and put phone away. DD is a really tough kid so I didn't think much of it. Well 15 minutes later another wife comes over to me and says I need to call my wife. When I looked at my phone there were 20 "is she OK messages" on my phone. It did turn out to be a concussion, but I was OK after a week or so :)

Jun 19, 2013
This is my 11 year old's pet peeve. She'll hit what should have been a single or double and make it around on errors and she gets annoyed when people tell her great homerun. "That was a double," she'll say. I imagine some of the parents on our team last year would be surprised at how few of their kids' "homeruns" show up in my stats. I've seen a girl get "homerun" congrats on a bunt with a bunch of overthrows. lol.

This is a pet peeve of me and my DD too. We had a girl make it home on a good single with about 3 major errors the dad who was an assistant coach asked for the ball from the umpire to present it to her as her first homerun ball - 2nd year 12U I might add. They made a huge deal out of it at the end of the game and wrote the date etc. on it to give her. My DD says on the way to the parking lot "why in the world would you want to keep that!! how embarrassing acting like you did something special".

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is a pet peeve of me and my DD too. We had a girl make it home on a good single with about 3 major errors the dad who was an assistant coach asked for the ball from the umpire to present it to her as her first homerun ball - 2nd year 12U I might add. They made a huge deal out of it at the end of the game and wrote the date etc. on it to give her. My DD says on the way to the parking lot "why in the world would you want to keep that!! how embarrassing acting like you did something special".

Equally dumb...It didn't even cross my mind to keep my DD's first OTF HR ball until it was way too late. I did manage to get it on video, however.

Jul 2, 2013
As a couple of others have mentioned, the text updates are the worst. I hate missing games but we have a 9yo DS so we split up from time to time and I try to follow along as much as possible. DW has learned a lot about softball and understands the game but her update skills normally go like this:

DW: Looks like DD is pitching. She's warming up.
Me: Great - keep me updated
DW: OK

15 min later...

Me: So how's she doing?
DW: She's pitching great. Doing really well!

20 min later...

Me: So what's the score.
DW: 6-0
Me: Nice, she's pitching a shutout!
DW: No, we're losing.
Me: I thought you said she was pitching well?!?!
DW: She is.
Me: .....How's she hitting?
DW: She's had two great hits
Me: That's good. Any extra base hits?
DW: No, she got out both times.
Me: ........I'll just ask DD about the game later

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I have two stories. One was between me and DW. The opposing coach Intentionally walks DD in a HS. My DW comes flying out of the stands to where I sitting keeping the game changer and says "They can't do that!" I Me: "Do what?" DW: They walked her on purpose. They didn't even give her a chance to hit the ball and it's gonna hurt her average. Where do I even start?

Next story: 14U TB. I am AC in the dugout and DD hit a weak fly ball to RF. The kid standing next to me and says Good Hit!!! I tell her that is NOT a hit and don't say that again since that reinforces bad behavior. I was totally being snarky, but the player told the mom. Mom sends a nasty email to the coaching staff demanding an apology. OMG!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00