Best clueless spouse story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 16, 2010
Alabama
I think I see it more on Facebook than anywhere. "Little Suzy hit a TRIPLE!!!!" and the attached video shows a slow roller to second that was thrown away and then thrown away a second time. These are parents of 12-15 yo's that have been around softball for a long time.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Despite my DW's complete lack of any personal experience with sports, she has done a remarkably good job learning about the game. I have no doubt that this fact has significantly reduced the amount of arguments we have.

Jun 19, 2013
Our texts from that first year in rec ball were hilarious- "she got a hit!" "awesome, a single?" "no she's out" "but you said she got a hit?" "yeah she did but the short stop got it" "ACK!!!"

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
My wife used to keep score for our hardball team back when I played in a Sunday league (she was brutal by the way, guy dives for a ball at 3rd goes off the end of the glove, that's an E5 right?) so she's the one who usually tells be the clueless parent scoring stories.

One of our favorites is when a kid strikes out with a runner on 3rd but reach 1st on D3K and the runner scores from 3rd and parents are yelling "Nice RBI!"

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Here is a simple one,

My wife happen to look up from her phone when my DD grounded out, 4-3. My wife said excitedly, "She got a hit!"

I said she didn't, she was out at first.

My wife said "But she hit the ball."

I said, "She made contact, but she is out."

She said again, "But she it the ball.

I am not even sure what I said after that.

I imagine that conversation has happened many, many times for many people.

This is a conversation I've had to have with my players a couple times. One girl got her first hit (ever, actually, since she had never played before), so I acknowledged it after the game. Another girl later says to me, "she got a hit last game." Last game she hit a dribbler to the pitcher with bases loaded and they got a force out at home.

Nov 4, 2015
Have had many of these conversations with my wife. Love her dearly, but did not come from an athletic family. Any contact made has been a hit. I'm hoping she has it figured out now and the conversation(argument) we had a couple of weeks ago was just her messing with me! "if she hit the ball, then it is a hit. if not, why would you say she hit it?"

Feb 13, 2015
Here is a simple one,

My wife happen to look up from her phone when my DD grounded out, 4-3. My wife said excitedly, "She got a hit!"

I said she didn't, she was out at first.

My wife said "But she hit the ball."

I said, "She made contact, but she is out."

She said again, "But she it the ball.

I am not even sure what I said after that.

I imagine that conversation has happened many, many times for many people.
Did they get any points?

Sent from my Z832 using Tapatalk

Jun 12, 2015
I think I see it more on Facebook than anywhere. "Little Suzy hit a TRIPLE!!!!" and the attached video shows a slow roller to second that was thrown away and then thrown away a second time. These are parents of 12-15 yo's that have been around softball for a long time.

This is my 11 year old's pet peeve. She'll hit what should have been a single or double and make it around on errors and she gets annoyed when people tell her great homerun. "That was a double," she'll say. I imagine some of the parents on our team last year would be surprised at how few of their kids' "homeruns" show up in my stats. I've seen a girl get "homerun" congrats on a bunt with a bunch of overthrows. lol.

Aug 23, 2016
This is my 11 year old's pet peeve. She'll hit what should have been a single or double and make it around on errors and she gets annoyed when people tell her great homerun. "That was a double," she'll say. I imagine some of the parents on our team last year would be surprised at how few of their kids' "homeruns" show up in my stats. I've seen a girl get "homerun" congrats on a bunt with a bunch of overthrows. lol.

This was one of the issues I had with crazy stat dad on DD's team. He was horrified at how many extra-base hits I denied his daughter. No, sir, it's not a double when your kid hits an easy dribbler to the pitcher and the pitcher makes a bad throw over the dugout and into the parking lot.

This guy was also annoyed whenever his kid hit the ball into RF and was thrown out at first. "Those are hits! They hit the ground!" Sorry, buddy, it's not a hit when the batter doesn't safely reach first.

Jun 12, 2015
That's a new one! It's a hit if the ball hits the ground. Ah, this is why I can't give up score keeping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00