Beggining the windup

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 26, 2010
In fast pitch when can a pitcher begin the pitch? Is it as soon as the batter enters the box or do they have to wait for them to get ready? Also if the batter stays in the box after the first pitch can the pitcher start the windup immediately?

Thanks
Dave

Mar 13, 2010
The batter has to be fully in the box. I don't know the exact rules sadly. (plus I play with different rules anyways)

If the batter is in the box and is getting ready, the pitcher is well within their right to start the pitch. I've done it to batters before (and why I teach my girls, if they're going to muck around in the box, to keep one foot out of the box)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
  • ASA 6.1.D--The pitcher shall take the signal or appear to be taking a signal with the hands separated. the ball must be in either the glove hand or the bare hand.
  • ASA 6.1.E--the pitcher shall bring the hands together for not less than one second and not more than 10 seconds before releasing it.
  • ASA 10.B--No pitch shall be declared when the pitcher attempts a quick return of the ball before the the batter has taken a position in the batter's or when the batter is off balance as a result of a previous pitch.

Last edited:

BLB

May 19, 2008
Does it say anything in reference to actually pausing while hands are together?

May 10, 2010
Many batters think just because they step out of the box time out is awarded. This is not always the case. I tell my pitchers to watch the umpire not the batter. If they say play ball and the batter steps out, no time out rewarded, my pitchers throw. The worse thing that can happen is no pitch is called. The umpire does not have to award a time out to the batter in or out of the batters box.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
As a batter stepping into the batter's box, what is the correct way to give yourself time to set-up in the box? For example, should you first place the back foot in the box while keeping the front foot out of the box; right hand up (for a right hand batter) to the umpire indicating "not ready yet" and then place the front foot in the box and put both hands on the bat?

I see a few of our 8 & 9 YO batters get in the box with both feet and have their left hand up (for a RHB) TO THE PITCHER to indicate "not ready yet" but I worry that the umpire will not honor the request and the pitcher will pitch anyways?

Feb 5, 2010
ASA 6.1E I was watching a game this past weekend and the pitcher never brought the glove and ball together as I would interpret. I would expect that the ball and glove would at some time have to touch for at least 1 second before the release. Is my interpretation correct?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
An "interpretation" occurs when the rules aren't clear. The rule is perfectly clear--balls and glove must be together for 1 second.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00