Before/After Videos of DD ....looking for reviews

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
Thank you Boardmember. Your insight has been especially helpful for me and DD. I do assume that you are speaking from the pitchers point of view above when you say that it is appropriate for a RHP to hit the line or slightly left of it.

"I like to see.........a stride that is inline with the hip joint and arm swing......not in infront of it........"

I take this to mean she should not step across the 'power line' but striding onto it or slightly short of it (left of it) at a full pitch is acceptable. The explanation of the 9:00 drill makes perfect sense. Thank you again!
VW

Jul 14, 2008
Thank you Boardmember. Your insight has been especially helpful for me and DD. I do assume that you are speaking from the pitchers point of view above when you say that it is appropriate for a RHP to hit the line or slightly left of it.

"I like to see.........a stride that is inline with the hip joint and arm swing......not in infront of it........"

I take this to mean she should not step across the 'power line' but striding onto it or slightly short of it (left of it) at a full pitch is acceptable. The explanation of the 9:00 drill makes perfect sense. Thank you again!
VW

Correct on all accounts v.......:)

May 25, 2008
Pickerington Ohio
The lefty pitchers spin would look like this from the catchers view:

wwdvo6.gif

2hmd7xl.gif

Boardmember, So the correct spin would not be a 6/12 rotation? Explain, if you would, why the correct rotation would have a SLIGHT bullet spin. This might help me to understand the proper mechanics of internal rotation. I have been trying and for the most part getting my pitchers to get the 6/12 rotation with the drills you laid out previouslyfor us. Have I been getting a result I don't want or is inconsistent with correct inner rotation mechanics? Thanks for the input.

Jul 14, 2008
Boardmember, So the correct spin would not be a 6/12 rotation? Explain, if you would, why the correct rotation would have a SLIGHT bullet spin. This might help me to understand the proper mechanics of internal rotation. I have been trying and for the most part getting my pitchers to get the 6/12 rotation with the drills you laid out previouslyfor us. Have I been getting a result I don't want or is inconsistent with correct inner rotation mechanics? Thanks for the input.

go, if you are getting true 6/12 rotation coupled with an efficient internal rotation delivery system, then I'd say very good......However......

True 6/12 rotation requires some manipulation of the natural wrist snapping action to accomplish......

If your students are advanced enough to manipulate the delivery system to achieve this, without curbing the natural motion which creates velocity then stay the path for sure......

Having said that.......I also said previously that "I use spin to teach mechanics as much as I use mechanics to teach spin"........

When someone is using proper internal rotation, the hand is never facing the powerline for more then a very brief moment. It moves from facing out (lag phase) to facing in (release phase) through the delivery sequence......

The later the lag phase turns into the release phase, the more velocity is generated.......

With this in mind, and to keep from "turning it over", the thumb will come off sooner then later, and the ball will NATURALLY spin slightly inward if released at the optimum (maximum) acceleration of the wrist snapping though the release....Which is happening BEFORE the hand is facing the target.......

Reinforcing mechanics that achieve this inward/downward spin insures that the principle mechanics of "late lag-late release" that drives this delivery system is optimized for maximum release velocity without "holding on too long" by combining forward spin with inward spin......vs. "bullet spin"........

13zq0eg.gif

Jun 4, 2009
go, if you are getting true 6/12 rotation coupled with an efficient internal rotation delivery system, then I'd say very good......However......

True 6/12 rotation requires some manipulation of the natural wrist snapping action to accomplish......

If your students are advanced enough to manipulate the delivery system to achieve this, without curbing the natural motion which creates velocity then stay the path for sure......

Having said that.......I also said previously that "I use spin to teach mechanics as much as I use mechanics to teach spin"........

When someone is using proper internal rotation, the hand is never facing the powerline for more then a very brief moment. It moves from facing out (lag phase) to facing in (release phase) through the delivery sequence......

The later the lag phase turns into the release phase, the more velocity is generated.......

With this in mind, and to keep from "turning it over", the thumb will come off sooner then later, and the ball will NATURALLY spin slightly inward if released at the optimum (maximum) acceleration of the wrist snapping though the release....Which is happening BEFORE the hand is facing the target.......

Reinforcing mechanics that achieve this inward/downward spin insures that the principle mechanics of "late lag-late release" that drives this delivery system is optimized for maximum release velocity without "holding on too long" by combining forward spin with inward spin......vs. "bullet spin"........

13zq0eg.gif

excellent information Boardmember, detailed explanation (and can't thank you enough for including the video shots!). DD definitely still has 6/12 rotation, further proving to us that she is NOT utilizing Internal Rotation. She'll be "showing and throwing" until she gets it right. Hopefully we can post something soon showing improvement.

Mar 12, 2009
The lefty pitchers spin would look like this from the catchers view:

wwdvo6.gif

2hmd7xl.gif

I need internal rotation for dummies! It looks like a lefty's rotation would be just the opposite to me. The lefty's palm would be facing 1st base through lag as long as possible with the thumb being on top of the ball near the release point and the thumb rotating towards a right hand batter at release...correct? If i'm not confused on this then it seems like the ball would rotate opposite of what is shown. Please explain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC