Batting grip aid

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
This is a question regarding the Bat Jack. I was wondering if it is legal to use it during games. I've heard yes and no. The ones who say "yes" have told me all that is necessary to make it legal is to put a strip of tape over the velcro so that it has no chance of sliding on the bat. Others have said you cannot add anything to aid the grip (such as extra tape). So what is the rule (ASA/NSA in particular)?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This is from their web site - ASA Rule 3 Section 1D: "Any attachment such as a molded finger grip, flair cone or choke up device must be attached with grip tape" This means The Bat Jack is allowed, but a piece of grip tape must be used to help secure it to the bat in addition to the velcro. Currently, The Bat Jack is only allowed for game use under the ASA rule.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
This is a question regarding the Bat Jack. I was wondering if it is legal to use it during games. I've heard yes and no. The ones who say "yes" have told me all that is necessary to make it legal is to put a strip of tape over the velcro so that it has no chance of sliding on the bat. Others have said you cannot add anything to aid the grip (such as extra tape). So what is the rule (ASA/NSA in particular)?

Amy is right on target. You can add to the grip part of the bat, but it must be permanently attached, which pretty much means it needs to be taped, but securely, not just a strip here or there. This has been the rule for a couple years now.

Jun 24, 2013
This has changed to this is the last few years; I am not sure the exact year. If you are going to have your DD use it in games I would make sure your HC knows the rule and the rule # to avoid any confusion.

Mar 2, 2013
In this case, the information on the website is accurate. However, I would not rely an a website for information on whether a product is necessarily legal. They have an interest to sell the product.

Case in point: The Pyro Elite Bat Warmer. Their website said the product was legal for two years after ASA changed the rule, making the product illegal. I even sent emails to the company asking them for something in writing from ASA saying that the product was legal. It wasn't until after I contacted ASA that they removed the "ASA approved" comment and started searching for other organizations that would approve it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA